Synthesize Mn-doped ZnS quantum dots using the synthesis described here. None of the quantum dots synthesized on 3/28/2014 fluoresced, so the dots were being re-synthesized this week using fresh 5mM Zn(CH3COO)2, 5mM Mn(CH3COO)2, and 5mM Na2S and using different mixing techniques (vortexing, hand-shaking, and mixing with a stir bar).
Synthesis Protocol for Mn-doped ZnS nanocrystals with an Mn:Zn ratio of 1:7.5 and a final (Zn+Mn) concentration of 0.4mM
- Add 176μL of 5mM Zn(CH3COO)2 to a test tube
- Add 24μL of 5mM Mn((CH3COO)2) to the test tube
- Add 200μL of 40mM NH4CH3COO to the test tube
- Add 244μL of 1.0mg/mL protein to the test tube
- Add 250μL of 10mM NH4OH
- This should bring the pH up to 8.2. Check on this with a pH strip
- Bring the volume up to 2.5mL with water (Add 1606μL of water)
- Incubate at room temperature for 1 hour
- Add 200μL of 5mM Na2S
- When you add this add it drop wise (as best as you can) while vigorously shaking the test tube.
- Incubate in an oven.
- "NB1" was synthesized using the procedure above, except that 510µL NH4OH and 1346µL H2O were used. NB1 was not shaken while the reagents were added, except for when the Na2S was added.
- "NB2" was synthesized using the procedure above, except that 550µL NH4OH and 1306µL H2O were used. NB2 was hand-shaken after each reagent was added.