To determine the concentration of Au+3 left unreacted in solution in the fiber solution synthesized on 02/29/12 using electrochemistry.
- Make the following dilutions of chloroauric acid:
- 5.00 mM
- 1.00 mM
- 500 μM
- 100 μM
- 50.0 μM
- 10.0 μM
- 5.00 μM
- 1.00 μM
- 500 nM
- 100 nM
- Add 0.5 mL of 0.5 M KNO3 to each solution.
- Run cyclic voltammetry using platinum electrodes as both working and reference electrodes.
- Run cyclic voltammetry on fiber solution synthesized on 02/29/12.
- Run cyclic voltammetry on AuNP solution synthesized on 02/09/12.
- Graph of current vs. applied potential for Pt electrodes:
- Graph of peak current vs. concentration of Au+3:
It was determined using the best fit equation that the concentration of Au+3 in the AuNP solution is 138.75 μM and in the fiber solution is 226.25 μM.
The calculated concentrations for both the AuNP solution and the fiber solution are below the detection limit (500 μM). Therefore, the calculated results may not be accurate.