Adopting the protocol for the synthesis of [CeK(H2O)12][Ce(H2O)6]2[(H2O)4CeBW11O39H]2·20H2O, a synthesis was performed using Ce(SO4)2 rather than Ce(NO3)3.
- Dissolved 0.6671g (~2 mmol) Ce(SO4)2 in 20 mL of DI water.
- Dissolved 1.6112g (~0.5 mmol) K8[BW11O39H]·13H2O in 40 mL of DI water.
- Added the second solution to the first solution.
- Verified pH was ~3.5
- Refluxed solution with stirring for 2 hours at 80°C.
- The resulting solution was saved for filtration on Thursday
- Cerium sulfate did not seem to go into solution.
- When solutions were mixed, there appeared to be some settling of precipitate.
- Reflux solution was yellow and solution was not clear (possibly as a result of precipitates agitated by the stir bar.
- FTIR was performed on:
- Europium Acetate
- Europium Acetate Product
- Lanthanum Chloride
- Lanthanum Chloride Product