Synthesis of Exchanged Clay Films
- It was observed that the films from last Wednesday had granules of the exchanged clay. The clay was not thoroughly dispersed.
- Two new films were prepared today, both having tributylhexadecylphosphonium bromide. The first film was made with the exchanged clay from Madeleine and Alicia's group while the second film contained the exchanged organic cation from Andrew, Michael, and Tami's group.
- The clay was ground first before weighing the solid substance.
- 1.00488 and 1.00084 g of PVA were weighed and added with 0.11091 and 0.11107 g of exchanged clay, respectively.
- 7 mL of water was added to both mixtures. These were stirred and heated.
- 0.5 mL of 0.8% glutaraldehyde was added to the exchanged clay mixture. Upon observing the mixture as homogenous, with most particles dispersed, the mixtures were cast into their respective teflon dishes.