- Start new Reaction
- Prepare More 30:1 Au:Lys colloid and 45:1 Au:Lys nanofibers
- Dry nanofibers
- Begin Reaction
- Oxidation of Benzhydrol
- 0.614 g Benzhydrol transferred to 10 mL volumetric flask and dissolved in ethanol
- 0.333 mL 30% H2O2 was added to volumetric flask
- The solution was diluted with ethanol to 10 mL
- 3 mL of the solution was added to a 50 mL pear bottom flask and attached to a reflux condenser on a schlenk line
- Nitrogen gas was added to the flask to removed any oxygen remaining in the solution
- 23.03 mL 30:1 Au:Lys colloid was added to the reaction mixture through septum
- The reaction mixture was constantly stirred in an oil bath at 75°C for 8 hours.
- Water was added to the reaction mixture and continuously stirred at room temperature for the remainder of the day
- Prepare Colloid and Nanofibers
- 30:1 Au:Lys Colloid
- 2.095 mL Lysozyme, 0.5 mL HAuCl4 and 2.405 mL H2O was added to 40 test tubes
- 45:1 Au:Lys Nanofibers
- 1.40 mL Lysozyme, 0.5 mL HAuCl4 and 3.10 mL H2O was added to 40 test tubes
- The test tubes were heated for 4 hours at 80°C
- Dry Nanofibers
- The nanofibers that were prepared previously were dried out by Jake Esenther and the detailed method can be found in his laboratory notebook.
There wasn't enough nitrogen in the tank to provide a continuous flow of nitrogen through the shlenk line.