February 3, 2015
- Begin oxidation of benzhydrol with AuNP as a catalyst
- Design a method to separate gold nanofibers from solution and dry them.
Preparation for Oxidation Reaction
1. Prepare 1 mmol Benzhydrol, 1 mmol Hydrogen Peroxide in 10 mL Ethanol
- 1 mmol Benzhydrol
- 0.001 mol * 184.24 g/ mol C13H12O* 3.33 = 0.614 g C13H12O
- 30% (wt/wt) Hydrogen Peroxide
- (30 g H2O2/ 100 g total) * (1.135 g/ 1mL) * (1 mol H2O2/ 34.015 g H2O2) = 10.01 M
- 10.01 M * V1 = (0.001 mol/ 0.003 L) * 0.010 L
- V1= 0.333 mL 30% H2O2
- Add 0.614 g C13H12O and 0.333 mL 30% H2O2 to a 10 mL volumetric flask and dilute to 10 mL with ethanol.
2. 3 mL of 1 mmol Benzhydrol, 1 mol Hydrogen Peroxide in Ethanol was added to a 10 mL round bottom flask under close atmosphere.
- Oxygen was removed from the atmosphere by adding nitrogen gas through a Schlenk line.
- 1 mL of the 30:1 Au:Lys colloid was added using a syringe through septum.
- The round bottom flask was placed in an 70°C silica oil bath overnight.
Drying Gold Nanofibers
The procedure for drying out the fibers is described by Jake Esenther
- Dry the weigh boats
- In order to accurately weigh the gold nanofibers we need to get rid of all the water on the weigh boats. The weigh boats are being dried over night. We are doing this by evaporation in a vacuum oven. Instructions for the vacuum oven are as follows:
- Set the Temperature to the first notch, keeping it low so the plastic doesn't melt
- Close the vent
- Open the vacuum
- Turn the oven on
- Turn the vacuum on
- If the pressure gauge does not move, you must push on the door until the vacuum is able to hold the door closed on its own.
- Drying the Nanofibers will take place tomorrow