User:Jamie Nunziata/Notebook/Protease Research/2015/09/16

From OpenWetWare
Jump to: navigation, search
Owwnotebook icon.png Project name Report.pngMain project page
Resultset previous.pngPrevious entry      Next entryResultset next.png

Objective

To make more AuNP solutions to replace any that didn't work from the previous lab day and to practice making buffer solutions.



Procedure and Results

The full set of procedure can be found inthe notebook entry Dr. Hartings left for today.

We first began correcting our failed AuNP solutions. Our 5 mL samples did make nanoparticles but 16 1mL samples were remade.

To make the buffers, 500mL of 10mM Tris (pH 9) and 500mM of 10mM phosphate buffer (pH 7) were made using the calculated values from location for Tris and from location for the phosphate buffer. We plugged in our desired concentration and volume into the calculator and it gave us the following protocol

    1. Tris buffer:
      1. 0.5079g Tris diluted in a 500mL volumetric flask with HPLC grade water
    1. Phosophate buffer
      1. 0.52059g of monosodium phosphate and 0.291785g of disodium phosophate diluted in a 500mL volumetric flask

The pH probe was then calibrated to the pH 4, 7, and 10 standard solutions. When we measured out buffers, they were not quite accurate. After adding acid to our Tris buffer, we managed to get it to 9.04. Our phosphate buffer was at 7.4, so HCl was also added to bring it down to 7.


We then measured the conductivity of the buffers. The Tris buffer had the conductivity of 281µS/cm and the phosphate buffer had a conductivity of 1655µS/cm.


Fortunately, upon future observation, 8 our of AuNP samples were synthesized successfully.