- Test JCS 14 for sol-gel formation
- Finish synthesis begun yesterday
- Run a trial that was not left overnight
- Testing JCS 14 (no Sodium Sulfide added) for sol-gel formation
- Mass of round-bottom plus film was 70.917 g
- a few mL of water were added and swirled
- hydrogel structures formed along the sides of the flask
- more water was slowly added while swirling
- structures collapsed and dissolved completely. Appears to be similar to the BSA only trial from last semester.
- Quick-synthesis (JCS 15, Reactants were added together immediately before placing the mixture on the rotovap)
- The original procedure was followed, utilizing the Mercury (II) Nitrate solution from 1/28/2015, a BSA solution of 0.076 g in 5 mL, 2 drops of 1M NaOH for a pH ~10, and 4 mL of a solution of 0.0471 g of sodium sulfide nonahydrate in 10 mL
- The weight of the round-bottom flask, when dry, is 67.7731 g.