- Complete the QD syntheses begun yesterday
- Attempt precipitation of JCS 4 and 5 via rotovap
- Create 20 mM sodium sulfide solution using new sodium sulfide nonahydrate
- .048036 g of sodium sulfide nonahydrate (MW=240.18) needed for 10 mL
- Used .0488 g of Sodium Sulfide used (in 10 mL) for a 20.32 mM solution
- Degassed solution by bubbling N2 gas through for 40 minutes
- Add 4 mL of 20 mM sodium sulfide solution to reaction
- Allowed the mixtures to stir vigorously for 15 minutes
- removed 1 mL aliquot for analysis
- Poured contents (minus the stir bar) into a darkened falcon tube and filled with 200 proof ethanol to the 50 mL mark. The falcon tube was left in the freezer to begin precipitation.
- total synthesis time JCS 4: 11 hrs (including 15 minutes for Sodium Sulfide addition)
- JCS 6 remained a pale yellow that turned dark brown once Na2S was added.