Preparation of Stock Solutions
Stock solutions of a protein (lysozyme), and HAuCl4 were prepared. The stock solutions were used to make six solutions of varying concentrations containing HAuCl4, lysozyme, and H20.
- Solutions of Colloidal Gold and Lysosyme were produced at different ratios to observe the formation of fibers
- Solutions were heated in a hot water bath and run through the Uv-vis to observe any color changes.
- Solutions were also cooked within the oven for an extended period of time to assist fiber formation.
- Kinetics of AuNP Formation
- Enough Lysozyme was added to three test tubes each containing 0.5 mL HAuCl4 to make [Au]:[Lysozyme]=30 (see chart below for prescription to make such a solution).
- The test tubes were covered with foil and placed in an 80°C hot water bath.
- Every 30 minutes half of the solution in one of the test tubes was poured into a plastic cuvette and placed in the UV-Vis Spectrometer.
- The UV-Vis from 800 nm to 360 nm was recorded and the above procedure was performed every 30 minutes until no more solution remained.
- HAuCl4 → 0.04621g / 50ml DI Water
- Lysozyme → 0.0895g / 50ml DI Water
Using a teflon coated spatula is recommended so the HAuCl4 does not bind to the metal on the spatula.
During the heating process, the temperature fluctuated between 70-85°C