- More bead synthesis with adjusted additions
- Bead Synthesis with modification
- Add 0.51520g PVA and 0.05154g Clay in 6 mL 10% HCl
- 500 uL of 0.8% glutaraldehyde was added to 30mL of ethyl acetate. The mixture was stirred at maximum speed on a stirrer.
- The PVA-Clay-HCl solution was added to the ethyl acetate mixture in a drop wise manner using the small bulb transfer pipette, roughly 1.5mL maximum.
- Any more and beads will fail
- Depending on the conditions, microbeads should form between 30s to 1 minutes. As soon as the beads are visible, IMMEDIATELY pour in slowly 7mL of 0.2 M NaHCO3. Stir for at least 30s.
- Beads will be ready once a clear separation of the water and organic phase is observed. Beads will precipitate to the bottom of the beaker. There will still be some beads left in the organic solvent phase.
- Pour the contents into the falcon tube.
- Centrifuge for 1 min at 3000 rpm.
- Afterwards, remove the organic phase and suspend the beads in distilled water.
- 1.0016g PVA and 0.1114g clay
- Special batch 14mL sodium bicarbonate = does not work