A new film was synthesized but using a 10% exfoliated clay with a 4% stock. XRD measurements were preformed on previously tested films. Analysis of DSC and UV-Vis data was continued.
- Exfoliated Clays
- An exfoliated clay has had all of its layers separated from one another. Instead of having layers in water, you have single sheets of material. This should change the absorption properties of the clay. We are going to test PVA-exfoliated clay materials against the regular PVA-clay material.
- To exfoliate clay, you stir it in water for 24 hours.
- These were prepared by Dr. Fox before showing up to the lab.
- Stock solution 4% sodium montmorillonite
- To make a 10% solution, we need the equivalent of 0.11g Na Montmorillonite from the 4% stock. Calculations showed 2.75 grams of the 4% NaMt is necessary
- Calculations cannot be done with volumetric measurements because the stock solution has a higher viscosity than water.
- Prepare a crosslinked film with the exfoliated clay in a similar manner to your other films. The procedure may be viewed here.
- Powder Xray diffraction
- The procedure for Xray diffraction begun
- Samples prepared on September 10 were dried and set up for use in the instrument.
- A control PVA-Clay film was also set up for use.
- Continue DSC and UV-Vis Analysis
- A discussion as to the sources of error from the previous results occurred.
- We came to the conclusion that ...
- New Malachite Green experiment with PVA films
- New stock solutions of Malachite Green Concentrations were made.
- made the 2ppm solution. This was done with 1ml of 200ppm Malachite Green and 99mL of H2O.
- 200 ppm M.G. made by Madeline Bee and calculations can be found on her page.
- 80ppm M.G. made by Rebeca Rodriguez and calculations can be found on her page.
- 8ppm M.G. made by [Farag] and calculations can be found on his page.
- 2ppm M.G. made by [] in my group. This was done with 1ml of 200ppm Malachite Green and 99mL of H2O.
- Pieces of PVA film were cut and placed in a vial with 10mL of Malachite Green solution.
- Control solutions of 200ppm and 2ppm were made
- 2.7756g 4% NaMt + 0.9996PVA + 10mL
Rerun of the PVA Film Absorption
It is recommended to use acetone to clean the vials after disposing of the Malachite Green H2O. This does not completely clean the vial, whether the residue on the glass makes an impact is still being determined.