- Continued the synthesis of polymer and polymer-clay films.
- Begin the preparation of ionic liquid modified clays.
- Completing the Synthesis
- the procedure for completing the synthesis of films may be viewed here.
- preparation of ionic liquid modified clays
- We are going to exchange the sodium in the sodium montmorillonite for an organic cation. The procedures are taken from these two sources (1, 2 along with Karlena Brown's thesis. We are working from the starting point that there are 92 miliequivalents (meq) of Na+ per 100g of montmorillonite.
- The original film preparation protocol was followed
- Began organic cation exchange following Dr. Harting's procedure
- 1.1046 g of Sodium Montmorillonite was added to a vial
- Assuming 92 meq of Na per 100 g, the total eq was 10.16232E-04
- Added 0.5251 g tributylhexadecylphosphonium bromide (MW=507.65) to the vial
- Added 10 mL of HPLC water and 10 mL ethanol
- capped the vial and set to stir for one week
- Finished compiling and sorting through data (UV-VIS, FTIR) from last week
- There was not enough time to retrieve the DSC data, so this will be completed on Friday
- Prepared Film Samples for Powder X-Ray Diffraction
- Incised a PVA-clay film with the size of the scintillating vial lid.
- The film was suspended in 10 mL of 2ppm MG solution contained in a scintillating vial. The MG solution for this sample was prepared from the stock solution prepared on August 29, 2014.
- The sample will be analyzed for the following lab meeting on September 12, 2014.
- review graphing techniques and compare data