- Continuation of synthesis of films
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectra(FTIR) of all of films was preformed. Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) of all films was also preformed.
- Synthesis of new films was started. The procedure may be viewed here.
- Finish the synthesis of clay films started on 09/03. The procedure may be viewed here.
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR)
- We will be using attenuated total reflectance (ATR) mode for our samples
- Place the film in the sample holder. Execute measurement
- Save measurement data onto thumb drive
- Weigh the pan and lid with no sample
- cut a piece of sample with a razor blade that is ≤3mg
- Seal the lid on the pan
- Place pans into the DSC and set up the instrument
- Wait for all measurements to be taken
New Film Data
- 0.9997g PVA
- 1.0142g PVA +0.1038g Cloisite
DSC Prep Data
==FTIR of MG Sample Film Data
Polyvinyl Alcohol Films with Absorbed Malachite Green Concentrations; 0.2, 0.5, 1.1, 1.4, 1.7, and 2.0 ppm
Polyvinyl Alcohol and Sodium Montmorillonite Films with Absorbed Malachite Green Concentrations; 0.2, 0.5, 1.1, 1.4, 1.7, and 2.0 ppm
When handling the pans in preparation for the DSC, two different sets of forceps should be used. One for handling the films and one for handling the pan. The reason being that water on the outside of the pan will skew measurements.
This is a visual of the different films and their absorbance of the Malachite Green.