Crosslink the films containing the quaternary ammonium salt and to continue making hydrogels using freeze thawing method.
- Make 4 100 mL solutions of 94 mL water, 6 mL 12 M HCl
- Heat solutions up to 70 °C under the hood
- Add a film to each solution. Heat the films for 1 hr.
- Rinse the films with distilled water
- Make 4 solutions of 1.68 g sodium bicarbonate in 100 mL water.
- Place each film in a sodium bicarbonate solution.
- Soak the films in the sodium bicarbonate solution for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the films in distilled water and place under the hood to try.
- For freeze-thawing, the hydrogels were removed from the freezer at 2:20 and were placed back in at 6:20
No Data Was Collected Today.
- Half an hour after the films were placed into the HCl solution, the 8%, 1%, and 0.1% films shrank and the HCl solution was cloudy and had particulate floating around. After crosslinking was completed, aliquots were taken of all of the HCl solutions. UV-Vis spectra will be taken of the solution.