Remains of the Day
- Gonna do germination trial of the TBG crude/F4 and FX. Three concentrations, 1:50, 1:100 and 1:200. 5 seed types: corn, wheat, soybean, tomatoe. 10 seeds per treatment (include negative water control). Stuff mixed gum arabic and peat - 100 ul per g of carrier.
- Found easy paper about preparation: http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/bnf/Downloads/Training/BNF%20technology/M5-D5.PDF
- Suggests - Gum arabic sticker is prepared by first heating 100 ml water in a container. Add 1 teaspoon of gum arabic and stir until it is dissolved. In the same manner, add the remaining gum while stirring until the total of 40 grams are dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Weigh 1 g of seeds and place them into an eppendorf tube. Add 100 ul of the slurry.
Alternatively, the seeds may be coated by shaking briefly until evenly coated. Immediately after coating, spread the seeds onto clean paper or tin foil and allow them to dry.
- So made 40% gum arabic, added 300 ul to an eppendorf, added 1.5 ul of F4, FX, or TBG (making a 200X dilution) and then put 20 Straight Eight cucumber seeds from William Dam Seeds into the eppendorf, shook around and let dry for 30 minutes on aluminium foil before putting in Tilbury TVD soil (10 upright seeds planted in a evenly spaced circle around the outside with equal soil and 100 mL water in each dixie cup) to test for emergence while the other 10 were put in Petri dishes with moistened paper towel (circular cut with 5 ml water added each and these then placed upside down in 25 degree incubator at 18:30).