- My emails that started it all:
- Hey (Person), I’m not quite sure how I should format this email, but I am interested in working with you to learn the techniques of ligation that Brandon has learned over the past several months. I wanted to run it by you and Koch will be over soon to talk with (other person) and yourself about this possibility as well. I can be in the lab rather frequently, and am very excited about pursuing this with you. Hopefully I can get some positive results and even work with you on other things. Anything I can learn will be a huge benefit and hopefully I can return the favor in contributions to your work.
- Hey (person), I’m following up from a couple weeks ago. Koch told me I should wait a little while to give you some time to take care of other important things. Anyways, if you are ready to have me I am ready to join the lab. When would be the best time to meet and go over the initial planning phases? Is there any literature I should read to get acquainted with some terminology, procedures, etc?
- /Person's Email
- /Koch's Email
Things to read
- Read up on some ligation protocols
- Kochlab protocols, Diego's Notebook, Brandon's notebook
- Maybe Koch grad school notebook
- learn about plasmid DNA
- check out NEB site: NEB
- check out molecular cloning books
- Learn about:
- multiple cloning sites
- T4 DNA ligase and ligation reactions
- agarose gel electrophoresis
- miniprep (plasmid DNA isolation from E. coli)
- read pipette manual (find it too).