UV VIS - Testing Beads' filtration ability
1. Continue the same procedure as before for 30% bentonite beads
- Weight of the column
- Dry weight
- Weight with beads
- With the speed on the pumping machine being 15 rpm, it takes 9 minutes 45 seconds to filtrate out 5 mL of solution through the column
- Solution collected in the vials starts to turn blue at vial #14
2. Note: The column shows that solution did not go through all parts of the column. There is one part of the column that does not turn blue, or in other words did not collect any MG. It may be true that these are not crosslinked beads.
UV VIS Data and observations
(From Dominique's notebook)
1. Observation and Calculation
- Found the Max Absorbance for each run.
- Using the Beer's Law calibration Curve we found a few weeks ago (y=0.0813x) calculated concentration for each sample.
- Created plot of concentration vs. Volume Eluted.
- Calculated the amount of MG added to the Column
- 7 samples *5mL/sample*1L/1000mL*50mg/1L = 1.75mg
- Calculated the amount of MG eluted.
- From samples 1-7:
- 5mL*1L/1000mL*concentration of sample = mg of MG not adsorbed
- For sample 8:
- 1mL*1L/1000mL*concentration of sample = mg of MG not adsorbed
- 4mL*1L/1000mL*concentration of sample = mg of MG desorbed
- For samples 9-108:
- 5mL*1L/1000mL*concentration of sample = mg of MG desorbed
- Subtract mg of MG not adsorbed from amount of MG added to column to get amount of MG adsorbed by the column.
- Find capacity of beads by dividing mass of MG adsorbed by mass of beads
- Find capacity of activated carbon by dividing mass of MG adsorbed by mass of activated carbon in beads.
Graph of Concentration vs. Volume Eluted for the Activated Carbon.
Amount of MG loaded: 1.75mg
Amount not adsorbed: 0.223mg
Amount adsorbed: 1.75mg-0.223mg=1.527mg
Amount desorbed: 0.992mg
Mass of Beads in Column: 1.8075g
Capacity of Beads: 0.8448 mg/g
Mass of Clay in Column: 0.18075g
Capacity of Clay: 8.448 mg/g
- Redo the 20% beads test since experimenters forgot to weigh the column with beads
- Make more MG 200 ppm stock solution