User:Andy Maloney/Kinesin & Microtubule Page/Surface passivation/The Sialoadhesins a family of sialic acid dependent cellular recognition molecules within the immunoglobulin superfamily
These are my notes. Please read the paper before reading my notes.
- Sialic acids contribulte to cell surface diversity.
- There are many modifications to the sialic acid that we know of.
- Common mamalian sialic acids include:
- They appear at terminal positions on sugars like:
- They can be at the ends of glycoproteins and glycolipids as well.
- Selectins adhere to sialic acid residues.
- They recognize amino acid sequences
- Typically they are transmembrane proteins.
- Kinectin is an example of a selectin.
- Sialoadhesion could be used to block sialic acid residues on casein.
- The article is about a familiy of proteins that recognize and attach to sialic acids.