User:Andy Maloney/Kinesin & Microtubule Page/Microtubule papers/Velocity modulation of microtubules in electric fields
These are my notes on the paper. Please read the paper before reading my notes.
- This paper talks about changing the velocity of microtubules using electric fields.
- 80 mM PIPES
- 10 mM ATP
- They selected only microtubules that are parallel or perpendicular to the electric field within 5˚.
- They are saying that they show positive voltages (negative fields) assisting the microtubule movement while negative (positive fields) voltages hinder it.
- This means that this paper's statement that microtubules have an overall negative charge is correct.
- They got speeds up to 4 µm/s!
- They state that higher kinesin densities require larger forces, i.e. fields, to stop microtubules.
- They saw velocity increases in microtubules running perpendicular to the field.
- ATP concentration didn't have an effect on velocity with applied fields.
- I'm not sure they took into consideration the flow of ions due to the electric field.