Tasks for October 31
- Continuation of bead synthesis
Preparation of GA-crosslinked chitosan beads
9 g of chitosan were dissolved in 200 mL 5% (v/v) acetic acid solution. Allowed to dissolve overnight.
- Can try 1%, 3% and 5% (v/v) glutaraldehyde and 1 M NaOH solution.
- Drop chitosan solutions into coagulant for gelation drop-wise.
- Height of drop and agitation speed will determine shape of drop.
- Maintain solution pH equal to pH of NaOH solution
- 40 mL of 1M NaOH and 1 mL of 0.8% glutaraldehyde were used.
- This technique formed bead-like structures, but due to high viscosity of the chitosan solution, it did not work well.