9 June 2009 Lab Meeting
- attening: Hussam, Jaephil, Jane, MinCheol, Brendan, Jessie, QQ, Sonali, Me.
- Jaephil gave small evap presentation to the group.
- Check on your NEW LAB DUTIES WITH SONALI Then do them and check off when they are done each week.
- Short small team meetings. 45 min -- SEE GOOGLE calendar for schedule
Suggested groups... please edit. Teams
1. PCR= QQ, MCK, MM
2. Bacteria = JZ, JD
3. Flu = MM, JZ, HM, JC, BC
3. HDA? Sample Preparation = AG, HM?
- MicroTAS Abstracts accepted. (4) Papers due June 30th.
† Flu R01
- RNA extraction troubleshooting.
- Try clean fabrication of chips and monoliths.
- Try RNAseH wash through.
- Absolute Quantification assays: TH this week.
- FTIR/maybe next week.
- Samples for Mass Spec.
- A primers look good at this point. Van Elden 2001.
- Jessie should learn SEM.
† Virus concentration (upstream from the assay.)
- QQ - HM - JZ - Chip Integration.
- How to read? Color, sensitivity? Alignment. Check with JD.
† Coulter Flu Fraunhofer Project
- Fraun folks coming to get trained next week. RNA isolation. Safety issues. English.
- IBC for Fraun flu. waiting?
- Brendan can come to Fraun Flu meetings if he wants....as primer design goes.
† SEPSIS Project
- Test with sol-gel substrate today(2nd June)
- delayed due to difficulty adjusting membrane thickness
- Evap system (JD and JZ)
- Let's get this to a point where we can publish and move on
paper 1: Evap with Sol Gel substrate.
paper 2: Covap with PMA, Rhodamine, PS beads?...virus...?
- Rhodamine experiments done
- Signals are similar between with and without GNP
- Rhodamine binds poorly to gold
- try GNP-pMA next. R6G-silver NP.
- Need to redefine hypothesis
† Valve Array
- Teddy will give training presentation(guide).
† Fraunhofer: LOAC
- Paper revised.
- Bonding ongoing with MIT folks
† Biointerfaces group
- Meeting Wed 2-4pm.
- Printed out paper for everyone. Go over the figures. Set the "story."
- fabricated SU-8 mold with Herringbone grooves.
- Brett took a photo of the device for the paper, but will repeat
- Jason coated thin gold on the surface of the PDMS mold, and will take SEM images for the sieves. --->SEM down
- draft paper2 for the submission to "Biophysical Journal" has been started.
- Will repeat trapping experiments this Friday to obtain good quality images for the Fig. 2 in the paper.
† CIMIT- Colson Grant
- QQ: PCR 2 paper draft.
- CMK: PCR 1 draft
- PEG-coating protocol developed - TROUBLESHOOTING.
- on-chip experiment with blank chip without PEG,BSA. It works with expected lower efficiency
- on-chip experiment with PEG-coated chip without PEG,BSA in reagent. It does not work, or the product is under the detection limitation of bioanalyzer.
- QQ : write protocol for PEG graft.
- QQ: Try changing heater and thermocouple.
- QQ: Try running PCR after plasma treatment and water wash only.
- QQ and MM: look back at flu PCR. Recall the repeatability. Decide course of action with Sonali. See what you can do to do "real" samples soon. One pot? Two steps necessary instead?
- Getting solution back out is still an issue.
- Integrated chip worked (19th). Accumulating multiple runs. (Check into primer lifetime)
- Evaporation problems near edges. Maybe design change?
- Teflon issue with the enzyme? Check into it.
† Silica Optimization (Lambda):