IGEM:IMPERIAL/2009/Feedback & Debriefs/Feedback 21 7
Tuesday 21st July 2009 - Presentation to Profs. & Advisors
- Need a project overview
- Presentation does not follow the engineering process
- need 2-3 slides focusing on this
- there is a real problem/real emotional message to get across
- is a novel application!
Focus on one application with the method being compatible to other applications
- Need details of the enzyme
- where it works
- where the conversion occurs etc.
- What is the recommendation per module?!
- Need a summary after each
- More modelling
- Have the PKU pathway
- How to trigger encapsulation process?
- How feasible is the killing strategy?
- Which track are we aiming to enter?
- How close is this to previous projects?
- Need something that actually works with results
- killing strategy
- Match the thresholds and sensitivities
- can be done
- use GFP reporter with an optical read out?
- Produce 2 chassis/cells?
- Explore module, get genes, find existing bacillus/E.coli chassis, one with a good coat formation and one that can produce the drug.
- Create new self encapsulation module
- Take out the biological pathway and place in Bacillus
- Drill down
- Make sure it’s quality controlled before consumption
- Be brutal in testing the risk for each module
- Try to order parts ASAP
- waiting time should not be a limiting factor
- Come on a lot since Friday
- got bones of a good project
- like idea of modules
- Write a high level specification page (case study almost?!)
- Look at an E.coli apoptotic mechanism
- there is one
- What about the proteases?!
- Use protein deficient strain?
- Still a lot of yes/no points we need to sort out
Deadline for BioBrick design: Friday
Prof & Advisor:
What is the critical path in the project?
- Amalyse, protease, lipase deficiency?
- Enzyme deficiencies in the gut
- Need the pros and cons of different applications
- where are they on they wiki?
- convince what you want to pick is feasible/efficient
- what are the mechanisms (existing)
- why do we need the enzyme?
- regulation, control, how does it know what/how much to make?
- give details, details, details!