<!-- sibboleth --><div id="lncal1" style="border:0px;"><div style="display:none;" id="id">lncal1</div><div style="display:none;" id="dtext">06/14/2010,06/15/2010,06/16/2010,06/17/2010,06/18/2010,06/21/2010,06/22/2010,06/23/2010,06/24/2010,06/28/2010,06/29/2010,07/03/2010,07/12/2010,07/13/2010,07/16/2010,07/19/2010,07/20/2010,07/21/2010,07/22/2010,07/23/2010,07/26/2010,07/27/2010,07/28/2010,07/29/2010</div><div style="display:none;" id="page">DataONE:Notebook/Data Citation and Sharing Policy</div><div style="display:none;" id="fmt">yyyy/MM/dd</div><div style="display:none;" id="css">OWWNB</div><div style="display:none;" id="month"></div><div style="display:none;" id="year"></div><div style="display:none;" id="readonly">Y</div></div>
<sitesearch>title=Search this Project</sitesearch>
This DataONE OpenWetWare site contains informal notes for several research projects funded through DataONE. DataONE is a collaboration among many partner organizations, and is funded by the US National Science Foundation (NSF) under a Cooperative Agreement.
- All datasets are publicly available in a google doc folder
- All code is available as gists at my GitHub page (please note, I am in the infancy of programming / writing code)
- For my "deliverable" article I've started an outline, and will (in the next few days) create a google doc available in the folder mentioned above.
All project "begin" dates correspond with entries on the calendar above. To track my progress in more detail click an individual day
- There is a presentation on my project and its very very very unreliable preliminary results on Prezi
Below was the first draft of my project, and what I expected to do. But as with any research project, this evolved over time:
In this project I will be investigating data management policies for the existence (or absence of) requirements for researchers sharing and citing data. This will be accomplished in two phases. In phase I, I will collect data management policies from a number of journals, repositories and funding sources in order to quantitatively assess data sharing and citation requirements. In phase II, I will be trying to determine the impact of the policies based on correlations with Sarah and Valerie's data."
- My Specific research questions include:
- What are the data sharing and citation policies applicable to authors, from funders, journals, and repositories?
- How do these policies differ by discipline, journal, data type, data source?
- How has the spectrum of applicable policies changed over time? (Need more thought on how to track this)
- How do the applicable policies correlate with data sharing behavior
- How do the applicable policies correlate with citing data
- This eventually became a research project focused on how to :
- Evaluate established policies for sharing and citing data in three specific domains- ecology, evolutionary biology and environmental sciences. This was accomplished by gathering policies from publishing outlets, funding sources and domain repositories.
- From here my research questions developed into:
- What are the data sharing policies affecting these domains in terms of journals, repositories and funding sources?
- How do these policies differ by discipline, publisher, country, funding body, data type or data source?
- How much do these policies affect the practice of reusing or citing data?
- How have these policies changed over time, and what affect have these changes had? (Which I did not answer)
- The following work was all conducted before 6/14/2010
Funders: Search a sampling of articles in the most recent publication for each Dryad Partner journal for funding acknowledgments
- American Society of Naturalists
- European Society for Evolutionary Biology
- Molecular Ecology
- Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution
- Society for the Study of Evolution
- Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology
- Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution
- Society of Systematic Biologists
I sampled four articles per journal for funding sources...This is the sample that I conducted, and decided there was enough to pursue funders as a datapoint (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmL-EJ5-i7x7dFlqdWJXY1N2NkVKNmh2cGxxZi1Tenc&hl=en)
Repositories and Journals: Locate data sharing and data reuse/citation policies for the journals and common data repositories of these domains.
(Prelim work here:http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmL-EJ5-i7x7dFVxSElKYm5lZDg5SWlFWnpnY0RGMHc&hl=en )
- This phase began on 6/17/2010
I began by gathering metadata about the Journals, Repositories and Funders
And gathering the associated policies of sharing and reuse
- The data gathering phase continued through June 7th.
Analysis and Data Cleaning
- This phase is on-going, but started 7/12/2010
- This phase is on going, but started 7/19/2010
Article Drafting / Wrap Up
- This phase will start 7/28 and continue until finished.