- Wei Li, Ph.D.
Head, Unit of Retinal Neurophysiology, National Eye Institute, National Institute of Health
1998 – 2003 Ph.D. in Biomedical Science (Neuroscience), Graduate School of Biomedical Science University of Texas – Houston Health Science Center
1991 – 1997 Bachelor of Medicine (7-Year Honors Program), Zhejiang University School of Medicine (China)
- PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
July 2007 –
National Eye Institute
National Institute of Health
June 2003 – July 2007
Dept. of Ophthalmology
Northwestern University School of Medicine
Sept. 1998 – May 2003
Graduate Research Assistant
Dept. of Ophthalmology and Visual Science
Graduate School of Biomedical Science
University of Texas – Houston Health Science Center
Sept. 1997 – Aug. 1998
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant
Graduate Program in Vision Science
State University of New York, College of Optometry
DeVries SH, Li W, Saszik SM (2006) Parallel processing in two transmitter microenvironments at the cone photoreceptor synapse. Neuron 50(5):735-748.
Li W, DeVries SH (2006) Bipolar cell pathways for color and luminance vision in a dichromatic mammalian retina. Nature Neurosci 9:669-675.
O’Brien JJ, Li W, Pan F, Keung J, O’Brien J, Massey SC (2006) Coupling between A-type Horizontal Cells is Mediated by Connexin50 Gap Junctions in the Rabbit Retina. J Neurosci 26(45):11624-11636
Zhang J, Li W, Hoshi H, Mills SL, Massey SC (2005) Stratification of alpha ganglion cells and ON/OFF directionally selective ganglion cells in the rabbit retina. Vis Neurosci. 22(4):535-549.
Trexler EB, Li W, Massey SC (2005) Simultaneous contribution of two rod pathways to AII amacrine and cone bipolar cell light responses. J Neurophysiol 93:1476-1485.
Li W, DeVries SH (2004) Separate blue and green cone networks in the mammalian retina. Nature Neurosci 7:751-756.
Li W, Keung JW, Massey SC (2004) Direct synaptic connections between rods and OFF cone bipolar cells in the rabbit retina. J Comp Neurol 474:1-12.
Protti DA, Flores-Herr N, Li W, Massey SC, Wässle H (2004) Light signaling in scotopic conditions in the rabbit, mouse and rat retina: a physiological and anatomical study. J Neurophysiol 93(6):3479-3488.
Firth SI, Li W, Massey SC, Marshak DW (2003) AMPA receptors mediate acetylcholine release from starburst amacrine cells in the rabbit retina. J Comp Neurol 466:80-90.
Wang Z, Li W, Mitchell CK, Carter-Dawson L (2003) Activation of protein kinase C reduces GLAST in the plasma membrane of rat Muller cells in primary culture. Vis Neurosci 20(6):611-619.
Massey SC, O'Brien JJ, Trexler EB, Li W, Keung JW, Mills SL, O'Brien J (2003) Multiple neuronal connexins in the mammalian retina. Cell Commun Adhes 10:425-430.
Li W, Trexler EB, Massey SC (2002) Glutamate receptors at rod bipolar ribbon synapses in the rabbit retina. J Comp Neurol 448:230-248.
Li W, Zhang J, Massey SC (2002) Coupling pattern of S1 and S2 amacrine cells in the rabbit retina. Vis Neurosci 19:119-131.
Zhang J, Li W, Trexler EB, Massey SC (2002) Confocal analysis of reciprocal feedback at rod bipolar terminals in the rabbit retina. J Neurosci 22:10871-10882.
Trexler EB, Li W, Mills SL, Massey SC (2001) Coupling from AII amacrine cells to ON cone bipolar cells is bidirectional. J Comp Neurol 437:408-422.
Mills SL, O'Brien JJ, Li W, O'Brien J, Massey SC (2001) Rod pathways in the mammalian retina use connexin 36. J Comp Neurol 436:336-350.
- PAPER PRESENTATIONS AND INVITED TALKS:
• Reciprocal feedback synaptic system at the rod bipolar cell terminals (FASEB summer conference, 2002)
• Wiring in the OPL of a mammalian retina (University of Texas-Houston, 2006)
• Bipolar cell pathways for color and luminance vision in a dichromatic mammalian retina (ARVO, 2006)
• Wiring in the OPL of a mammalian retina (Moran Eye Center, University of Utah, 2006)
• Rod and cone input to cone OFF bipolar cells (FASEB summer conference, 2006)
• The first synapse in vision -– the photoreceptor synapse and the retinal circuitry (National Eye Institute, NIH, 2006)
• The first synapse in vision -– the photoreceptor synapse and the retinal circuitry (Washington University at St. Louis, 2006)
• The first synapse in vision -– the photoreceptor synapse and the retinal circuitry (Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA, 2006)
• Dean’s Research Award (University of Texas – Houston Medical School)
• ARVO Foundation/Retina Research Foundation Travel Grant (ARVO)
• Fight For Sight Postdoctoral Fellowship (Fight For Sight)
• Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA Fellowship (NIH)
- ACADEMIC MEMBERSHIPS:
• Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
• Society For Neuroscience (SfN)
- EDITORIAL DUTIES:
• Visual Neuroscience
• Journal of Comparative Neurology
• Journal of Neuroscience