- Hover notes thingy like Flickr (extension) - This would allow one to add notes to images without actually altering the original file.
- Seamless layout that allows one to go from wiki to blog without too much graphic difference. Try not to make it look like the users are leaving OWW when reading a blog. (Ex: http://wiki.shift.pt/doku.php )
- Software ideas for blogs
- Interesting pages box - A section could be created on the homepage (or a community page) that calls the users attention to a specific useful and interesting page. There are dozens of links with interesting information that are not accessed regularly and could become great resources. Which ones you ask? Here's just a few:
- A small list of them could be compiled in a specialpage or tagged as "very interesting" and then displayed randomly to visitors of the site. I'm sure they'd become greatly used.
This is a list of steps that I consider essential to make OWW better organized and easier to use.
- A new set of tutorials for new/recent users. These tutorials should be step-based and when possible accompanied by screencasts (videos).
- Hierarchical pages - this is very important to keep the wiki organized. Many new users place their pages in the wrong place.
- Forms to kick-start pages. These forms can be implemented on a page-type basis. If creating a protocol page, the form would show fields for material, methods, notes, etc. These forms would only appear on first edit.
- Setup a page (community page, activity page, features page) that will concentrate featured and active pages on the wiki. This page depends on the creation of new functions/extensions that allow to create and follow such activity.
- Vote page up/down (à lá Digg)
- Lab Notebook Milestone marker (feature a project's status)
- Latest users & Map with location (this is easier if country and city are made compulsory on sign up)
- Focus on outreach by creating some plugins/widgets for blogs and other sites to display related OWW pages (ie Google Adsense). Also get a page together with all the buttons and banners available with code for easy insertion in html.
- Edit count top 10 (activity != interesting --> logs, order pages, etc)