- 2006-, PhD, Molecular Biosciences and Bioengineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- 2001-2003, MS, Bioinformatics, Northeastern University
- 1996-2000, BS, Biology, University of California Santa Barbara
Relevant Career Experience
- 2008 Hawaii iGEM Team Graduate Student Advisor
- 2005-2006 Biogen Idec, San Diego, Protein Evolution, Antibody Engineering
- 2003-2005 Biogen Idec, Boston, Cheminformatics, Protein Engineering
- 2002 Pharmacopeia, New Jersey, Cheminformatics
- Cyanobacteria Synechocystis sp. PCC6803, inorganic carbon uptake and fixation, PHB biosynthesis.
- Hawaiian Algal Database (HADB): database specializing on morphology and DNA sequence data of Hawaiian algae.
- Hawaiian Fresh Water Algal Database (HfwADB): database on freshwater algae of the Hawaiian Islands.
- Carboxysome Structure of Cyanobacteria
- Synthetic Biology: Modularization of Biological Components & Pathways for Synthesizing Biofuels & Polymers
- Computatonal Biology/Bioinformatics
- Protein Engineering
Awards & Scholarships
- MIT iGEM 2008 Competition, Best Rookie Team, Bronze Medal
- UCSB College of Creative Studies fellowship
- Wang, N., Smith, W. F., Miller, B. R., Aivazian, D., Lugovskoy, A. A., Reff, M. E., Glaser, S. M., Croner, L. J., Demarest, S. J., Conserved amino acid networks involved in antibody variable domain interactions, Proteins: Structure, Function, and Bioinformatics, 2009, 76, 99-114. PDF
- Wang, N., DeLisle, R. K. & Diller, D. J., Fast small molecule similarity searching with multiple alignment profiles of molecules represented in one-dimension. J. Med. Chem., 2005, 48, 6980-90. PDF
- Wang, N. & Tiffney, B. H., Seeds of Rhododendron (Ericaceae) from the Late Eocene of California. Palaeontographica, 2001, 245-254.
Other Relevant Accomplishments
- United States Patent Application 11/283,650 20060206269: One-dimensional QSAR models (Pharmacopeia Drug Discovery, Inc.)
- United States Patent Application 11/725,970 20080050370: Stabilized Polypeptide Compositions (Biogen Idec, Inc.)
- Graduate Student Organization (GSO) Treasurer ‘07-‘09
- Introduced the GSO Campus Greening Initiative bill. Successfully advocated for and passed the bill in Dec. 2008 by the GSO Assembly (representing over 5000 graduate students) to create a $75k revolving fund to support oncampus efficient energy usage, renewable energy generation, and sustainability related projects.
- Interview in the Apr '07 Audrey Magazine
Norman Wang <br\> University of Hawaii <br\> 1955 East-West Road <br\> Agricultural Science 218 <br\> Honolulu, HI 96822 <br\> wangn at hawaii.edu <br\> Email me through OpenWetWare