Site-directed mutagenesis protocol
This protocol does not require any special enzymes or kits, only a regular PCR block and equipment to handle DNA.
1. Primer design with Strategene's primer design tool
2. Order both primers 5'-phosphorylated[materials 1]
3. Perform a 20 microL PCR reaction to test the primers, if a strong band in the desired region is obtained repeat the PCR with 2-4 50x microL reactions
4. Run the PCR product on an Agarose gel (1% or less) and isolate the desired band with a method of your choice
5. Ligate the purified PCR product
6. Transform your bacteria of choice with the ligated PCR product from step 5
7. Isolated three (or more) colonies and confirm the mutation by sequencing
Optional but recommended
8. Isolate the mutated insert with restriction enzymes and reintroduce it into the original vector to avoid background mutations introduced by PCR
The following kits and enzymes were used for the protocol, but are not essential and any other kit or method might work as well.
<ref> tags exist for a group named "materials", but no corresponding
<references group="materials"/> tag was found, or a closing
</ref> is missing