- Matt Hartings
- Department of Chemistry
- American University
- 4400 Massachusetts Ave, NW
- Washington, DC, USA
- Email me through OpenWetWare
I am an assistant professor of chemistry at American University. My group's research page can be found here. I have two research projects. The first involves re-engineering hemoglobin and myoglobin into artificial photosynthetic proteins. The second project aims to disrupt cell signaling pathways with the ruhenated-ATP analogues we are making in lab. I am also coordinating a student run laboratory course/research project - AU Biomaterials Design Lab - that is utilizing Open WetWare's interface to keep lab notebooks and organize data and protocols.
- Postdoctoral Fellow at the California Institute of Technology with Harry Gray
- 2005, PhD at Northwestern with Mark Ratner and Thomas Meade
- 2000, BS in Chemistry and Physics at the University of Dayton
- Protein Engineering and Artificial Photosynthesis
- Protein Post-Translational Modifications and Transition Metal-Based Anti-Cancer Compounds
- Biocompatible Materials
- Hartings MR and Fahy D. Communicating chemistry for public engagement. Nat Chem. 2011 Aug 23;3(9):674-7. DOI:10.1038/nchem.1094 |
- Hartings MR, Kurnikov IV, Dunn AR, Winkler JR, Gray HB, and Ratner MA. Electron tunneling through sensitizer wires bound to proteins. Coord Chem Rev. 2010 Feb 1;254(3):248-253. DOI:10.1016/j.ccr.2009.08.008 |
- Barker KD, Eckermann AL, Sazinsky MH, Hartings MR, Abajian C, Georganopoulou D, Ratner MA, Rosenzweig AC, and Meade TJ. Protein binding and the electronic properties of iron(II) complexes: an electrochemical and optical investigation of outer sphere effects. Bioconjug Chem. 2009 Oct 21;20(10):1930-9. DOI:10.1021/bc900270a |
- Hartings MR, Gray HB, and Winkler JR. Probing melittin helix-coil equilibria in solutions and vesicles. J Phys Chem B. 2008 Mar 13;112(10):3202-7. DOI:10.1021/jp709866g |
- Eckermann AL, Barker KD, Hartings MR, Ratner MA, and Meade TJ. Synthesis and electrochemical characterization of a transition-metal-modified ligand-receptor pair. J Am Chem Soc. 2005 Aug 31;127(34):11880-1. DOI:10.1021/ja042922y |
- Damsbo M, Kinnear BS, Hartings MR, Ruhoff PT, Jarrold MF, and Ratner MA. Application of evolutionary algorithm methods to polypeptide folding: comparison with experimental results for unsolvated Ac-(Ala-Gly-Gly)5-LysH+. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004 May 11;101(19):7215-22. DOI:10.1073/pnas.0401659101 |
- Hartings MR, Kinnear BS, and Jarrold MF. The energy landscape of unsolvated peptides: the role of context in the stability of alanine/glycine helices. J Am Chem Soc. 2003 Apr 2;125(13):3941-7. DOI:10.1021/ja020610u |
- Kinnear BS, Hartings MR, and Jarrold MF. The energy landscape of unsolvated peptides: helix formation and cold denaturation in Ac-A4G7A4 + H+. J Am Chem Soc. 2002 Apr 24;124(16):4422-31.
- Kinnear BS, Hartings MR, and Jarrold MF. Helix unfolding in unsolvated peptides. J Am Chem Soc. 2001 Jun 20;123(24):5660-7.