User:Lindsay V. Clark
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Plant Population Genetics
Energy Biosciences Institute
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Research and Personal Info
I am a postdoc studying the genetic diversity and population structure of Miscanthus, a perennial grass being developed as a bioenergy crop, under Dr. Erik Sacks at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
I recently finished my Ph.D. (September 2011) in the Genetics Graduate Group at UC Davis as a member of the Jasieniuk lab in the Department of Plant Sciences. My dissertation research was on the evolution of invasiveness in blackberry (Rubus), particularly relating to hybridization and asexual reproduction. I have also written software in R for the analysis of polyploid data.
I graduated from Dartmouth College in 2004, having majored in Genetics, Cell & Developmental Biology and minored in Chemistry. From June 2002 to June 2004 I did my undergraduate thesis research in Thomas Jack's lab, where I worked on developing knockout mutants for a gene family putatively involved in floral development in Arabidopsis.
From November 2004 - July 2006 I worked at the Grape Genetics Research Unit in Geneva, NY. Under the direction of Amanda Garris, I worked on gene cloning and QTL mapping towards an understanding of light detection and winter dormancy in grapevine.
- Lindsay V. Clark and Marie Jasieniuk (2011) "POLYSAT: an R package for polyploid microsatellite analysis." Molecular Ecology Resources 11(3):562-566. doi:10.1111/j.1755-0998.2011.02985.x
- Lindsay V. Clark and Marie Jasieniuk (2012) "Spontaneous hybrids between native and exotic Rubus in the Western United States produce offspring both by apomixis and by sexual recombination." Heredity 109(5):320-328. doi:10.1038/hdy.2012.45
- Lindsay V. Clark, Katherine J. Evans, and Marie Jasieniuk "Origins and distribution of invasive Rubus fruticosus L. agg. (Rosaceae) clones in the Western United States." Biological Invasions (in press). doi:10.1007/s10530-012-0369-8
- Amanda Garris, Lindsay Clark, Chris Owens, Steven McKay, James Luby, Kathy Mathiason, and Anne Fennell (2009) "Mapping of Photoperiod-Induced Growth Cessation in the Wild Grape Vitis riparia Michx." Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 134:261-272.
polysat: tools for polyploid microsatellite analysis
- Convert TASSEL's HapMap format to adegenet's genind format: Media:hapMap2genind.R.txt
- Convert adegenet's genind format to STRUCTURE format: Media:genind2structure.R.txt
- "Using molecular markers to investigate invasive Rubus and genetic diversity of Miscanthus". Invited seminar speaker, Western Kentucky University Biology Department, September 7, 2012.
- "Genetic diversity and population structure of Miscanthus in Japan" at the 3rd Pan American Congress on Plants and Bioenergy, Champaign, Illinois, June 17, 2012.
- "Polyploid data analysis, and how to gently transition from software user to software developer" for UC Davis Ecological Genetics grad course, February 28, 2011 PDF
- “Hybridization of native and invasive blackberries in California” at UC Davis Weed Day, July 17, 2008.
- "Microsatellites distinguish sexual vs. apomictic reproduction in spontaneous Rubus hybrids" at Plant and Animal Genome XIX, January 15-19, 2011. PDF
- "Hybridization Between Native And Introduced Rubus In California And The Pacific Northwest" at Plant and Animal Genome XVIII, January 9-13, 2010. PDF
- “Hybridization between invasive and native blackberries (Rubus) in California” at California Invasive Plant Council Symposium, October 2-4, 2008.
- Plant Sciences Departmental Research Assistantship
- Jastro-Shields Research Grant
- Department of Plant Sciences Graduate Student Travel Award
- California Weed Science Society Scholarship
- Associate Instructor, Plant Genetics and Biotechnology Laboratory, UC Davis Department of Plant Sciences, Summer 2009
- Guest lecturer, Ecological Genetics, UC Davis Ecology Graduate Group, Winter 2011
- Teaching assistant, Principles of Genetics Laboratory, UC Davis Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Winter 2010
- Teaching assistant, Genes and Gene Expression, UC Davis Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Fall 2009, Winter 2011
- Teaching assistant, Human Heredity, UC Davis Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Spring 2007, Spring 2009
- Teaching assistant, Plant Genetics and Biotechnology Laboratory, UC Davis Department of Plant Sciences, Winter 2009
- Undergraduate teaching assistant, Molecular Biology Lab, Dartmouth College Department of Biological Sciences, Summer 2003