(Lab website|UM faculty website)
Dr. Ganesh Sriram is an Assistant Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at University of Maryland. He earned his bachelor's and master's degrees in chemical engineering from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay, Mumbai, India. From 1999 to 2004, he worked toward his Ph.D. in the lab of Dr. Jacqueline Shanks at Iowa State University, Ames, IA. From 2004 to 2007, he was a postdoctoral researcher in the labs of Dr. Katrina Dipple and Dr. James Liao at University of California, Los Angeles.
Dr. Sriram's research interests are metabolic engineering and systems biology, especially metabolic flux analysis and gene regulatory network analysis. See lab research page for more information.
1208D Chemical and Nuclear Engineering Bldg. 090
University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742-2111
Phone: (301) 405-1261; Fax: (301) 405-0523; Email: gsriram[at]umd[dot]edu
Awards and honors
- Minta Martin Award, A. James Clark School of Engineering, University of Maryland, 2008.
- Best Presentation Award, Third International Congress on Plant Metabolomics, 2004.
- Metabolic Engineering III Fellowship, Engineering Conferences International, 2000.
- Best Innovative Potential Master’s Thesis Award, Indian National Academy of Engineering, 1999. Conferred by the Prime Minister of India.
- Young Scientist Award for Best Research Paper, International Congress for Sustainable Development of Environment, 1997.
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- American Chemical Society
- American Society of Plant Biologists
Selected recent publications
- Rahib L, Sriram G, Harada MK, Liao JC, and Dipple KM. Transcriptomic and network component analysis of glycerol kinase in skeletal muscle using a mouse model of glycerol kinase deficiency. Mol Genet Metab. 2009 Mar;96(3):106-12. DOI:10.1016/j.ymgme.2008.11.163 |
- Sriram G, Rahib L, He JS, Campos AE, Parr LS, Liao JC, and Dipple KM. Global metabolic effects of glycerol kinase overexpression in rat hepatoma cells. Mol Genet Metab. 2008 Feb;93(2):145-59. DOI:10.1016/j.ymgme.2007.09.008 |
- Iyer VV, Sriram G, Fulton DB, Zhou R, Westgate ME, and Shanks JV. Metabolic flux maps comparing the effect of temperature on protein and oil biosynthesis in developing soybean cotyledons. Plant Cell Environ. 2008 Apr;31(4):506-17. DOI:10.1111/j.1365-3040.2008.01781.x |
- Sriram G, Iyer VV, Bruce Fulton D, and Shanks JV. Identification of hexose hydrolysis products in metabolic flux analytes: a case study of levulinic acid in plant protein hydrolysate. Metab Eng. 2007 Sep-Nov;9(5-6):442-51. DOI:10.1016/j.ymben.2007.07.003 |
- Sriram G, Fulton DB, and Shanks JV. Flux quantification in central carbon metabolism of Catharanthus roseus hairy roots by 13C labeling and comprehensive bondomer balancing. Phytochemistry. 2007 Aug-Sep;68(16-18):2243-57. DOI:10.1016/j.phytochem.2007.04.009 |