To conduct Flame AA on the filtrates collected on 9/26/12 and 10/1/12 and to crosslink the clay films
- Allow the PVOH film containing glutaraldehyde to dry completely.
- Prepare a solution of 100 mL H2O, 2 mL concentrated H2SO4, and 20 g Na2SO4 in a 150 mL beaker. (solution is referred to as glutaraldehyde fixant)
- Place stir bar in beaker and a Buchner funnel top (cap) over the stir bar
- Heat solution to 70°C (temperature on hotplate should be about 160)
- Place film in solution for one hour.
- Prepare 100 mL of a 1% HCl solution in a 150 mL beaker. Place a stir bar and an inverted buchner funnel into beaker.
- Heat HCl solution to 70°C
- Remove film from glutaraldehyde fixant and rinse with distilled water.
- Place film into HCl solution for 30 minutes.
- Prepare 0.2 M sodium bicarbonate solution. (1.68 g in 100 mL)
- After 30 minutes, remove the film from the HCl solution and place into the sodium bicarbonate solution (at room temperature) for about 15 minutes.
- Use tweezers to remove the film from the sodium bicarbonate solution.
- Rinse film with deionized water and dry film on paper towel.
- Weigh film and record mass.
- The standards needed to be remade and the filtrates needed to be diluted before AA could be conducted.
- Found that to dilute, needed to put 0.2081 mL of filtrate in 9.7919 mL of HPLC water.
- Concentrations of standards were recalculated. Did not need to remake them because they were still in a decade range.
This area is for any observations or conclusions that you would like to note.
Use categories like tags. Change the "Course" category to the one corresponding to your course. The "Miscellaneous" tag can be used for particular experiments, as instructed by your professor. Please be sure to change or delete this tag as required so that the categories remain well organized.