User:Christopher M Gowen
Hello! I am a Ph.D. student in the Systems Biological Engineering Laboratory under the direction of Dr. Stephen Fong at Virginia Commonwealth University. My primary research interest is in the use of large scale in silico models to better understand and engineer microbial metabolism. Please feel free to email me.
- Fong Lab wiki
- Teaching and Learning Blag - an effort stemming from the class Teaching, Learning, and Technology in Higher Education.
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO Box 843028
Richmond, VA 23284-3028
804-827-7000 ext 414
- 2011, PhD Engineering, Department of Chemical and Life Science Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University
- 2008, MS Engineering, Department of Chemical and Life Science Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University
- 2006, BS Biosystems Engineering (Concentration in Biotechnology), Clemson University
- Minor in Bioengineering
- Calhoun College Honors
Papers & Book Chapters
- Gowen C.M., Fong S.S. (2011) "Applications of systems biology towards microbial fuel production" Trends in microbiology 19:10, pp. 516-24. doi:10.1016/j.tim.2011.07.005
- Gowen C.M., Fong S.S., (2010) "Genome-scale metabolic model integrated with RNAseq data to identify metabolic states of Clostridium thermocellum" Biotechnology Journal, 5:7, pp. 759–767, doi: 10.1002/biot.201000084.
- Roberts S.B., Gowen C.M., Brooks J.P., Fong S.S., (2010) "Genome-scale metabolic analysis of Clostridium thermocellum for bioethanol production" BMC Systems Biology, 4:31 doi: 10.1186/1752-0509-4-31
- Gowen C.M., Fong S.S. (2009) "Exploring Biodiversity for Cellulosic Biofuel Production", Chemistry and Biodiversity 7:5 pp. 1086-97, doi: 10.1002/cbdv.200900314
- Gowen C.M., Fong S.S. (2009) "Phenome Analysis of Microorganisms" Bioinformatics: Tools and Applications, Eds: David Edwards, David Hansen, Jason Stajich. Springer New York, pp. 279-92. doi: 10.1007/978-0-387-92738-1_14
Talks & Posters
- Poster Presentation - Gowen C.M., Fong S.S., "Integration of RNA-Seq data with an in silico metabolic reconstruction of Clostridium thermocellum for rational strain design", ASM General Meeting, May 24-27, 2010, San Diego, CA
- Poster Presentation - Gowen C.M., Roberts S.B., Fong S.S., "Genome-scale constraint-based metabolic model of Clostridium thermocellum," Microbial Genomics Conference, October 11-15, 2009, Rocky Gap State Park, MD
- Oral Presentation - Roberts S.B., Gowen C.M., Fong S.S. (2009) "Genome-scale constraint-based metabolic models as tools for engineering cellulosic biofuel production", The Summit on Systems Biology, June 16, 2009, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA.
- Poster Presentation - Gowen C.M., Roberts S.B., Fong S.S. (2009) "Genome-scale constraint-based metabolic model of Clostridium thermocellum" , BioSysBio, March 23-25, 2009, Cambridge University, UK
- Poster Presentation - Gowen C.M., Tombes R.M., Rao R.R. (2008) "Mitotic inactivation affects metabolic activity of human- and mouse-derived fibroblast feeder cells," The 12th Annual Hilton Head Workshop on Regenerative Medicine, March 14, 2008, Hilton Head Island, SC
Where is the Life we have lost in living?
Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?
--T. S. Eliot, Choruses from The Rock <html><a href=http://www.qwantz.com/index.php>