User:Audrey L. Atkin
I am a new member of OpenWetWare!
- Audrey L. Atkin
- Associate Profesor
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- School of Biological Sciences
- E146 Beadle Center
- Lincoln, Nebraska
- Email me through OpenWetWare
I learned about OpenWetWare from Nature Reviews Microbiology editorial on virtual networking for microbiologists Vol. 6:410, 2008, and I've joined because I want to initiate a virtual RNA virtual community to share data and protocols.
- 1992, PhD, University of Alberta, Canada
- 1985, BS, University of Guelph, Canada
- RNA biology
- Cell signaling and morphogenesis
- Model organisms: Yeast species Saccharomyces cerevisiae (bakers yeast) and Candida albicans (human opportunistic pathogen)
- Kebaara BW, Langford ML, Navarathna DH, Dumitru R, Nickerson KW, and Atkin AL. Candida albicans Tup1 is involved in farnesol-mediated inhibition of filamentous-growth induction. Eukaryot Cell. 2008 Jun;7(6):980-7. DOI:10.1128/EC.00357-07 |
- Dumitru R, Navarathna DH, Semighini CP, Elowsky CG, Dumitru RV, Dignard D, Whiteway M, Atkin AL, and Nickerson KW. In vivo and in vitro anaerobic mating in Candida albicans. Eukaryot Cell. 2007 Mar;6(3):465-72. DOI:10.1128/EC.00316-06 |
Rated by faculty 1000
- Kebaara BW, Nielsen LE, Nickerson KW, and Atkin AL. Determination of mRNA half-lives in Candida albicans using thiolutin as a transcription inhibitor. Genome. 2006 Aug;49(8):894-9. DOI:10.1139/g06-046 |
- Nickerson KW, Atkin AL, and Hornby JM. Quorum sensing in dimorphic fungi: farnesol and beyond. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2006 Jun;72(6):3805-13. DOI:10.1128/AEM.02765-05 |
- Jensen EC, Hornby JM, Pagliaccetti NE, Wolter CM, Nickerson KW, and Atkin AL. Farnesol restores wild-type colony morphology to 96% of Candida albicans colony morphology variants recovered following treatment with mutagens. Genome. 2006 Apr;49(4):346-53. DOI:10.1139/g05-117 |
- Taylor R, Kebaara BW, Nazarenus T, Jones A, Yamanaka R, Uhrenholdt R, Wendler JP, and Atkin AL. Gene set coregulated by the Saccharomyces cerevisiae nonsense-mediated mRNA decay pathway. Eukaryot Cell. 2005 Dec;4(12):2066-77. DOI:10.1128/EC.4.12.2066-2077.2005 |
- Mosel DD, Dumitru R, Hornby JM, Atkin AL, and Nickerson KW. Farnesol concentrations required to block germ tube formation in Candida albicans in the presence and absence of serum. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2005 Aug;71(8):4938-40. DOI:10.1128/AEM.71.8.4938-4940.2005 |
- Nazarenus T, Cedarberg R, Bell R, Cheatle J, Forch A, Haifley A, Hou A, Wanja Kebaara B, Shields C, Stoysich K, Taylor R, and Atkin AL. Upf1p, a highly conserved protein required for nonsense-mediated mRNA decay, interacts with the nuclear pore proteins Nup100p and Nup116p. Gene. 2005 Jan 31;345(2):199-212. DOI:10.1016/j.gene.2004.10.005 |
- Shields CM, Taylor R, Nazarenus T, Cheatle J, Hou A, Tapprich A, Haifley A, and Atkin AL. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Ats1p interacts with Nap1p, a cytoplasmic protein that controls bud morphogenesis. Curr Genet. 2003 Dec;44(4):184-94. DOI:10.1007/s00294-003-0442-z |
- Kebaara B, Nazarenus T, Taylor R, Forch A, and Atkin AL. The Upf-dependent decay of wild-type PPR1 mRNA depends on its 5'-UTR and first 92 ORF nucleotides. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003 Jun 15;31(12):3157-65.
- Kebaara B, Nazarenus T, Taylor R, and Atkin AL. Genetic background affects relative nonsense mRNA accumulation in wild-type and upf mutant yeast strains. Curr Genet. 2003 Jun;43(3):171-7. DOI:10.1007/s00294-003-0386-3 |
- Atkin AL. Preparation of yeast cells for confocal microscopy. Methods Mol Biol. 1999;122:131-9.
- Dahlseid JN, Puziss J, Shirley RL, Atkin AL, Hieter P, and Culbertson MR. Accumulation of mRNA coding for the ctf13p kinetochore subunit of Saccharomyces cerevisiae depends on the same factors that promote rapid decay of nonsense mRNAs. Genetics. 1998 Nov;150(3):1019-35.
- Atkin AL, Schenkman LR, Eastham M, Dahlseid JN, Lelivelt MJ, and Culbertson MR. Relationship between yeast polyribosomes and Upf proteins required for nonsense mRNA decay. J Biol Chem. 1997 Aug 29;272(35):22163-72.
- Atkin AL, Altamura N, Leeds P, and Culbertson MR. The majority of yeast UPF1 co-localizes with polyribosomes in the cytoplasm. Mol Biol Cell. 1995 May;6(5):611-25.
- Atkin AL, Riazi MA, Greer CL, Roy KL, and Bell JB. The functional analysis of nonsense suppressors derived from in vitro engineered Saccharomyces cerevisiae tRNA(Trp) genes. Gene. 1993 Nov 30;134(1):57-65.
- Atkin AL, Henry RW, Roy KL, and Bell JB. Characterization of the tRNA(Trp) genes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Gene. 1992 Sep 21;119(1):57-63.
- Atkin AL, Roy KL, and Bell JB. Construction of an opal suppressor by oligonucleotide-directed mutagenesis of a Saccharomyces cerevisiae tRNA(Trp) gene. Mol Cell Biol. 1990 Aug;10(8):4379-83.
- Williams JA, Scott IM, Atkin AL, Brook WJ, Russell MA, and Bell JB. Genetic and molecular analysis of vgU and vgW: two dominant vg alleles associated with gene fusions in Drosophila. Genetics. 1990 Aug;125(4):833-44.
- Williams JA, Atkin AL, and Bell JB. The functional organization of the vestigial locus in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Gen Genet. 1990 Mar;221(1):8-16.