Transforming chemically competent cells
Also see Preparing chemically competent cells
- Thaw TSS cells on ice.
- Add DNA, pipette gently to mix (1μl of prepped plasmid is more than enough).
- Note: If you are adding small volumes (~1μl), be careful to mix the culture well. Diluting the plasmid back into a larger volume can also help.
- Let sit for 30 minutes on ice.
- Note: If you are in a rush, you can shorten this incubation time to 5-10 min.
- Incubate cells for 30 seconds at C.
- Incubate cells on ice for 2 min.
- Add 1 mL SOC (2XYT and LB are also suitable, original paper suggests LB + 20mM glucose) at room temp.
- Incubate for 1 hour at
C on shaker.
- Note: Can also save some time here by reducing incubation to ~45 min.
- Spread 100-300 μl onto a plate made with appropriate antibiotic.
- Grow overnight at 37 °C.
- Save the rest of the transformants in liquid culture at 4 °C. If nothing appears on your plate, you can spin this down, resuspend in enough medium to spread on one plate and plate it all. This way you will find even small numbers of transformants.