The BioBricks Foundation was invited to run a workshop on "Synthetic Biology with BioBricks Parts" at CSB2008. Reusable educational modules about synthetic biology can be found on this page.
Skeletal draft outline of SB101
- Intro - setting the stage for synthetic biology
- Overview - imagine sequencing and synthesis became free overnight. Where does that lead in terms of engineering? (Abstraction, Modularity, Standardization)
- Definitions (part, device, chassis, biobrick, physical standard, functional standard, abstraction, engineering cycle)
- Standard Parts: Goals and Tools
- Data sheets (goal)
- Measurement (path toward goal)
- Jason's story about telegraph cable standardization
- Getting & Storing parts: Registries & Repositories
- Legal Standards (Freedom)
- Production and Use - iGEM (fabs... & codon devices, ginkgo?)
- Hands on WetLab demo:
- Transformation foo using real Datasheets
- Show off a couple of MIT Registry Binders
- Get involved!
- biobricks foundation: volunteer, help steer the ship
- igem: do syn bio for real
Questions / Ideas
- In the history of electronics, did the pioneers begin by inventing interesting/useful devices or reusable basic parts? It seems to me they started with certain applications in mind (devices) which over time revealed a set of commonly used basic parts.
- a technology flowchart revealing the significant events leading to the advent of synthetic biology and project what the most important advances will be 5 to 10 years into the future.
- A diagram representing available biobrick parts & devices localized to their areas of activity in a cell.
Meeting Notes Aug 3 2008
- Paper copy of the registry (w blotted DNA)
- Tranformation foo kit (maybe)
- Transformation foo kit - good introduction to modular biobrick parts
- Isn't biology already standardized? "We use the same words..."
- Compile a list of existing resources
- Review them all for a consensus of bullet points/modules
- Perhaps there are some well-thought out existing introductions/organiz.
- Follow up on email summaries:
- "telconf ultra-short summary" and "Open Source Registry Conference Call"
- Let's be interactive, have a fun breakout session, just like the $1K BioBrick challenge.
- Is this still in effect? Could someone from CSB go to SB4 if they win?
- Have a hackathon for SB tools
- Bring a shopping list of most desired mini-SB apps (primer designer)
- This would be a good way to "call to action" at the end of the wkshop
- Describe the software tools landscape, provide a 'hook' for hackathon
- Anticipate the audience:
- They may ask "when can we build synthetic networks?"
- HOW IS SYNTHETIC BIOLOGY DIFFERENT FROM SYSTEMS BIOLOGY
- they know a lot about computational prediction & simulation
- File:SB Primer 100707.pdf
- Berkeley Intro to Synthetic Biology
- Jason Kelly's Measurement Kit Video
- Targeted Development of Registries of Biological Parts (Peccoud lab