This page describes common-use equipment and laboratory areas in the Stephanopoulos Lab. If you are not a lab member and want to use this stuff, chances are that it's OK, but please check with a lab member first!
- 1 Main Lab (Building 56)
- 2 Autoclave Room (Building 56)
- 3 Tissue Culture Lab (Building 56)
Main Lab (Building 56)
Gel Electrophoresis Area
Gel Staining Area
- SYBR Gold is very dangerous. Please do not carry SYBR Gold contamination outside the area marked with absorbent paper.
HPLC (northwest corner of lab)
- We have a service contract with Waters on the main HPLC unit, the photodiode array (PDA), and the RI detector. If you have issues with the tool, please contact Waters. The service contract also pays for a yearly preventative maintenance (PM) on the tool. A sticker on the left side of the tool states the date when the next PM is due.
- P.O. number to use when contacting Waters for service: 4500775080 (Expires 4/6/2007)
- Our service rep is Bob Brennick 1-800-252-4752 Ext. 6225
- Our service sales rep is Linda Halloran 1-800-252-4752 Ext. 2108
- Before using the GC-MS, please make a reservation using our online calendar. Contact a group member for the account name and password.
Chemicals Storage Area
- When you receive a new container of chemicals, please write the date of receipt on the container label.
- When you open a new container of chemicals for the first time, please write the date of opening on the container label.
- Keep the fume hoods as clutter-free as possible by removing personal items and materials as soon as you are finished using them.
- Please do not use fume hoods to evaporate off hazardous chemicals from pipette tips, tubes, etc. Tips and tubes with trace amounts of hazardous chemicals should be placed in an appropriate, capped container and the name of the chemical should be added to the container's hazardous waste tag. Currently, we have one container for organic waste in the eastern fume hood. More containers for incompatible chemical types can be obtained from the VWR stockroom if necessary.
- Sterile hoods are meant to be sterile. Please keep them clean.
- When biological sharps bins are full, please close the lid on the bins and zip tie them closed. Do not overfill them.
YSI 2700 Select Biochemistry Analyzer
- This device uses immobilized enzyme membrane electrodes to specifically measure glucose and lactic acid. Electrodes for other analytes, such as (glutamine, glutamate, others) are available. Analysis is rapid and convenient, but is limited to aqueous samples. A simple procedure for sample analysis can be found here.
Autoclave Room (Building 56)
- The autoclave on the 4th floor is managed by the chemical engineering department. Guests are welcome to use it, but please check with someone in a 4th-floor chemical engineering lab before using it.
- If autoclaving biowaste, sign up using the dedicated biowaste autolave log. Be sure to list the tag numbers for all bags of waste you are autoclaving.
- If autoclaving non-biowaste, sign up using the general sign up list.
- Do not leave your autoclave tray full of stinky, congealed agar after you take out your autoclaved waste. Take responsibility for your own messes!
- We are lucky enough to enjoy the services of two paid dishwashing staff. They are Israel Molina and Tasha Thomas. Hal, Curt, or Keith usually signs their timecards, but any lab members should feel free to contact them if with special dishwashing requests.
Tissue Culture Lab (Building 56)
Return to Stephanopoulos Lab OWW Home Page