Lab attendance is mandatory and there are no make-up labs. A family crisis or severe illness requiring attention from the infirmary and prohibiting you from all your coursework are acceptable reasons for missing lab and every effort will be made to accommodate you in these exceptional circumstances.
||% of Final Grade
|Daily Lab Quizzes
|Daily Lab Notebook
|Research Article Review
|Design Project Report & Presentation
Research Article Review
The class will work in groups of 2 or 3 to read and review the following 5 articles:
- Ow DW, DE Wet JR, Helinski DR, Howell SH, Wood KV, and Deluca M. Transient and stable expression of the firefly luciferase gene in plant cells and transgenic plants. Science. 1986 Nov 14;234(4778):856-9. DOI:10.1126/science.234.4778.856 |
- Horstmann V, Huether CM, Jost W, Reski R, and Decker EL. Quantitative promoter analysis in Physcomitrella patens: a set of plant vectors activating gene expression within three orders of magnitude. BMC Biotechnol. 2004 Jul 7;4:13. DOI:10.1186/1472-6750-4-13 |
- Gibson DG. Synthesis of DNA fragments in yeast by one-step assembly of overlapping oligonucleotides. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009 Nov;37(20):6984-90. DOI:10.1093/nar/gkp687 |
- Chan LY, Kosuri S, and Endy D. Refactoring bacteriophage T7. Mol Syst Biol. 2005;1:2005.0018. DOI:10.1038/msb4100025 |
- Rutherford SL and Lindquist S. Hsp90 as a capacitor for morphological evolution. Nature. 1998 Nov 26;396(6709):336-42. DOI:10.1038/24550 |
Design Projects, Reports & Presentations
Late work for major assignments will be penalized 1/3 of a letter grade for each day late and will not be accepted after a week. Daily quizzes and lab notebooks will not be accepted late.