Difference between revisions of "Smolke:Protocols/Glass Beads"
Revision as of 15:50, 28 November 2006
Procedure for recycling used glass beads.
- lab dispenser soap
- 95% Ethanol
- collect beads from plastic containers around the benches.
- soak the beads in a larger container with water.
- add soap and mix well.
- this step is to remove the excess material stuck to the beads.
- rinse the beads with water to remove all trace of soap.
- it helps to use a strainer.
- rinse the beads with the Ethanol.
- this step removes residual water.
- transfer beads to glass bead jars.
- cover loosely with lids and allow the beads to dry (overnight). autoclaving while still wet may cause the beads to develop a filmy coating.
- autoclave on gravity cyle, tighten lids on after cooling and store.
- right now we don't have a strainer to do rinse steps, I'm going to get one soon. -Kelsic