From OpenWetWare
Revision as of 08:15, 22 August 2005 by Kathmc (talk | contribs)

Home        Protocols        Lab Members        Materials        Equipment        Links        Internal       

Can we get this in the stock room?

Check out MIT ECAT, VWR page (certificates required). There is a listing of items carried in the stock room (link is on the left side of the page).

What if it's not in the stock room, but VWR carries it?

Order the item through MIT ECAT. You will need an account number (get this from Brenda) and you will need to know the G/L account number to use (if you don't already have a list of these, ask Kathleen). You can also use ECAT to order from other companies, like Office Depot and Airgas.

How do I submit samples for DNA sequencing?

Check out the MIT biopolymers site. The facility also does mass spectrometry, peptide synthesis, peptide sequencing, and a few other things. You can download all of the forms you need from the site and there are instructions on how to retrieve your data. You will need an account number (talk to Brenda) to submit samples. Talk to someone in the lab about our login and password for the DNA sequencing site. Whenever sending things to biopolymers, be sure to give Brenda a copy of your submission sheets. This helps with questions about charges later on. Also, for DNA sequencing, keep a copy for yourself. Data is posted as 1, 2, 3,..., so it is important for you to remember which sample corresponds to each number.

How do I order things that you can't use a credit card for (like needles, syringes, ethanol, radioactivity)?

  • If these things can be ordered through VWR, MIT ECAT is the easiest way to get them.
  • If you can get them in the stock room (needles, syringes), use an MIT requisition form. These can be found in each room in the bin under the packing slip bin.
  • Ethanol is a restricted item, and you need to be on an authorization list to order it. How you get onto this list is unclear to me, but it seems to have been automatic for most people. So, you can't order ethanol online. You can get ethanol in the solvent stock room with an MIT requisition form (bring carriers! they won't give it to you without them), or you can fill out a requisition form and give it to someone in the stock room or the VWR representative, who has a desk a few doors down from the stock room.
  • For other things (like radioactivity), you need to create a requisition through MIT SAPweb. After creating the requisition, check back on the site later to get your purchase order number. Then, use the purchase order number when you call the company to place the order. If you are using this for radioactivity, ask someone who has done it before for help because certain non-obvious things need to be included on the request form.