Difference between revisions of "Reviews"
|Line 6:||Line 6:|
*[[ReviewsDirected evolution/Library construction]]
Revision as of 10:25, 20 July 2007
OpenWetWare Reviews is an experiment in providing always up-to-date scientific reviews. When a new publication comes out it can be easily incorporated into the review by OWW editors. This should be a win-win for both the review-writer (less work) and the readers (who get a more up-to-date resource). We'll be trying reviews with a 'curator' (as discussed for consensus protocols) as well as ones without.
- Join the mailing list to discuss OWW Reviews (reviews at openwetware.org)
- Make a list of available reviews in PLoS and BMC (are there other OA sources that allow derivative works?).
- Wikify existing OA reviews
- Try and get the original author (or someone expert in the topic area) to be the curator for a few of the articles.
- Leave some of the articles curator-free as a trial, still not clear if you want/need a curator.
Wikify existing Reviews
- At the moment it looks like we should find good reviews in PLoS and BMC journals, as they are the only journals that allow derivative works. If there is a review in a journal where the author retains copyright, then we can ask the author to release a pre-print version under a CC license and that should work too. (see the talk page) These OA journals should be OK as well.
Search of PLoS+BMC+Review in NCBI
I did this search on NCBI with the filter tab for 'Review' (268 results). I wrote the ones below that weren't medical studies and from a cursory look appeared to be a review. I'm not attesting to the quality, but if there's one in your field of interest take a look at it. If it looks good consider wikifying it.
- Bacterial programmed cell death and multicellular behavior in bacteria. (PLoS Genet.)
- Immunoinformatics comes of age (PLoS Computational Biol.)
- Functional classification using phylogenomic inference. (PLoS Computational Biol.)
- Crossing the line: selection and evolution of virulence traits. (PLoS Pathog.) - I particularly like "Box 1. Making Use of Morons", a good read ;)
- Balancing selection and its effects on sequences in nearby genome regions. (PLoS Genet.)
- The expanding universe of prion diseases. (PLoS Pathog.)
- Making ends meet: repairing breaks in bacterial DNA by non-homologous end-joining.(PLoS Genet.)
- Unraveling the molecular basis for regenerative cellular plasticity. (PLoS Biology)
- Translating DNA into synthetic molecules. (PLoS Biology)
- Nanotubes make big science. (PLoS Biology)
- Gene Duplication: The Genomic Trade in Spare Parts (PLoS Biology)
- Integrin Bidirectional Signaling: A Molecular View (PLoS Biology)
- Antigen-specific T cells: analyses of the needles in the haystack. (PLoS Biology)
- The cytoskeleton in vivo. (PLoS Biology)
- Protein nanomachines. (PLoS Biology)
- Endosymbiosis: lessons in conflict resolution. (PLoS Biology)
- Channelling evolution: canalization and the nervous system. (PLoS Biology)
- The proteasome and the delicate balance between destruction and rescue. (PLoS Biology)
- Comparative genomics.
- How mammals acquire and distribute iron needed for oxygen-based metabolism. (PLoS Biology)
- Comparative genomics. (PLoS Biology)
- Current approaches to the study of movement control. (PLoS Biology)
- V(D)J recombination and the evolution of the adaptive immune system. (PLoS Biology)
- Microarray analysis: genome-scale hypothesis scanning. (PLoS Biology)
- Molecular signatures (unique proteins and conserved indels) that are specific for the epsilon proteobacteria (Campylobacterales). (BMC Genomics)
- Jasonk 11:37, 6 March 2007 (EST): Anyone interested in being a curator for a review in their field of expertise? I can't promise you scientific rewards yet, but I suspect this will become an accepted form of merit down the line ;)
- List of OA journals from PMC. Any article from any of these should be licensed properly.
- Is there an easy way to search only OA journals?
- use MyNCBI, and select PMC from the Search drop-down box. Search for a term, then you should be able to click the 'tools' icon next to the results tab to add 'Open Access' filter.
- do a search for "open access"[Filter] AND YourSeachTerm in PMC.
Online Discussion of Wiki Reviews
- Nodalpoint - Wiki Reviews
- Pedro - Public Rambling
- Neil Saunders - WYDIRD
- Depak - business|bytes|genes|molecules