Difference between revisions of "Paulsson:Safety"
m (→Safety training schedule)
|Line 72:||Line 72:|
Revision as of 10:06, 20 December 2012
There is a 3-ring binder labeled SAFETY above Per's desk. It contains the following:
- Chemical Hygeine Plan (CHP)
- Exposure Control Plan
- Committee on Microbiological Safety (COMS) registration (a copy - the original is held by Barbara Grant)
- Hard copies of lab members online training certificates.
Guidelines for working with Sharps
LASERs & Radionuclides
We don't have a permit for working with radionuclides, but Per is on the Kirschner lab permit (talk to Mike Gage about purchasing radiochemicals).
Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
What to wear
What not to wear
In case of emergency
Who to call
Where to go
Medical Area Health Service, 617-432-1370
Location: Vanderbilt Hall, 275 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115
Hours: M, Th 9:00 am to 6:30 pm; T,W,F 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
At all other times, go to the Emergency Room at Brigham and Women's Hospital
Emergency Services, 617-732-5636
Here's a map
All lab accidents must be reported. Guidlines for reporting accidents.
Please fill out the following forms and give them to Barb Grant:
Safety training schedule
Everyone who handles hazardous materials (i.e. does bench work) must complete hazardous waste training yearly. The first training must be done in person - check here for upcoming sessions. Thereafter, the annual training refresher course can be completed online here. After completing the online training, please print your certificate and give it to Per (hard copies kept in the "Safety" binder in the lab).
- As of March 2008, all members of the lab must complete the hazardous waste online refresher course in March.
Lab manager, to access Training Records Database:
The lab specific training log is kept at the back of the Chemical Hygiene Plan in the Safety Binder above Per's desk. All new lab personnel should be trained and sign the log.
Inventory and Placarding
- Lab inventory of chemicals is in an Excel spreadsheet here: N:\PAULSSON LAB\inventory & safety\chemical inventory
- Online inventory and placards MUST be updated yearly (in March), but really should be updated anytime a hazard enters the lab that isn't covered on the existing door placards.
EH&S page for managing inventory and generating placards: http://www.uos.harvard.edu/ehs/ih/lp_door_placarding.shtml
Hazardous waste pick-up
All waste containers must have a hazardous waste tag. Date the tag only when scheduling a pick-up (the date on the tag must be no earlier than three days prior to the pick-up date).
Waste pick-up happens on Tuesdays and Fridays, usually in the late morning or early afternoon.