OpenWetWare:Design/Join OWW banner
- Jennyn 21:57, 12 March 2006 (EST): What about something like these? We can also make horizontal banners. Please comment.
- Jasonk 23:29, 12 March 2006 (EST):These look really great. It would also be cool to have a small rectangular banner that a lab could easily put at the bottom of their webpage, maybe something slightly larger than the Creative Commons banner at the bottom of this page.
- Austin 10:48, 13 March 2006 (EST): I'm not sure we should use the abbreviation OWW for advertising as it's meaningless without knowing what it refers to. It may also be fun to create an animated gif version. Also, we should have HTML code that people can just directly copy and paste to put into their webpage.
- RS 10:52, 13 March 2006 (EST): We can have animated one available, but I generally prefer the static version. It is less prone to screwups in different browsers and on different platforms. I also think that since the site is at the bottom, the "OWW" is not that ambigous. But I agree that it might be nice to have a wider and shorter one (i.e. a banner) available cause that might fit in certain spaces more easily.
- Jennyn 12:18, 13 March 2006 (EST): I think the OWW works since it's defined at the bottom. I was following along with the format of the PLoS banner. I will make a horizontal one for lab websites. And we will definitely provide HTML code at the bottom of the currently "discussions" section, which will probably turn into "promote OWW".
- Jennyn 12:55, 13 March 2006 (EST): Here are some small horizontal banners. Please comment.
- Austin 13:04, 13 March 2006 (EST): I prefer the horizontal versions. OWW may not be ambiguous but I don't think the OWW adds anything additional. You could just remove the OWW and have it be 'join openwetware.org'. Also, unlike PLoS, we don't really want people to refer us to 'OWW' (I don't think). The default way of saying OWW is not exactly great while PLoS sounds ok.
- Jasonk 13:06, 13 March 2006 (EST):I like the one on the right better, im ambivalent about the OWW thing.
- Jennyn 13:20, 13 March 2006 (EST): I don't see why we can't keep all versions, as people have different preferences to what they want to add to their own website. We can have one vertical banner in place of "Discussions" on main page, and link them to a page called "Support OWW" and have many banners + HTML code available. About the OWW thing, using Join OpenWetWare.org takes a LOT of horizontal space, and if we want to keep it as small as it is already, we will need to make the font significantly smaller. The horizontal banners would look busier because there isn't some sort of abbreviation available to grasp attention. I will make a sample one for you to see what I mean.
- Jennyn 13:20, 13 March 2006 (EST): Moreover, here is what I would like to change the discussion section to:
Support OWW on your website!
- Jasonk 13:34, 13 March 2006 (EST):I think that the "Join OWW" is a better message than "Support OWW" - since we're trying to build a community firstly, rather than push a cause to support - minor point, but yeah.
- Jennyn 14:05, 13 March 2006 (EST): Good point. I'm trying to make this where current users will post this on their lab websites so that recruiting will not always have to be through word of mouth or through e-mail, rather that someone will see this and find OWW from the banner. So, I just finished the template, so someone can rename the page and redirect it (I still don't know how to do that).