Difference between revisions of "IGEM:NYMU/2008"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
<font size="5">BacToKidney - Toward a better quality of life.
<font size="5">BacToKidney- Toward a better quality of life.
Latest revision as of 02:07, 14 December 2012
BacToKidney- Toward a better quality of life.
- After ingesting our BacToKidney capsule, it passes the through stomach without taking any action, nor being digested, and proceeds to the small intestine. Once in the small intestine, the pH Sensor detects the change in pH and activates the clearance processes of Urea, Phosphate, and Guanidine from the body. To allow itself more time to perform its tasks, the pH Sensor also activates the Attachment process, making the capsule attach itself to the small intestine. After a pre-selected amount of time has passed (controlled by the time regulating oscillators), the capsule detaches itself from the small intestine and exits the body.
- Kidney's are a really important part of our bodies. But what happens if they break? There are two choices: get a new one, or undergo hemodialysis. Hemodialysis prolongs life, yet it really is just another form of torture. To undergo hemodialysis, one has to go to the hospital every few days for hours at a time while a machine cleans out your blood. What's life without enjoyment? Staying tied within range of a hospital, unable to travel or go on vacation anywhere easily. Some have made a "portable" dialysis machine, but as you can see, this portable dialysis machine requires nothing less than than a small vehicle to transport it along. But what if there was the possibility of dialysis without staying tied to a hospital? if there was no need to bring heavy machinery everywhere you go? What if there was something more portable ... something you could ingest ... something ... convenient? Our project BacToKidney tries to realise this dream. We designed an ingestable bacteria capsule which would clean out the waste products in your bloodstream without the need of a machine. Think about the possibilities. Not needing to goto hospital as often. Being able to travel to faraway places. Freedom. As if life can be enjoyed once again. Wouldn't that be wonderful ...
- Our design was split into four parts:
- The pH Sensor -- a promoter (pNhaA) which activates in an alkaline pH of around 7 to 8, the pH of the small intestine.
- The Attachment -- A mechanism to allow attaching to the small intestine.
- The regulation of time -- where we create a timer to control the time before detaching from the small intestine
- The removal of the waste products -- the removal of Urea and Guanidine; and the balancing of Phosphate.
- Our subteams were split in this manner: