Complete system diagram.
Smell generating devices from precursor. File:MITiGEM2006Figure2.pdf
- (a) device diagrams of wintergreen and banana generating devices.
- (b) smell test results from Jamboree
- (c) smell test photo?
Autonomous wintergreen production
- (a) GC data of wintergreen total synthesis
- (b) GC data of J45120 without precursor
Growth phase control
- (a) parts and device level depiction
- (b) growth-phase control of FP output
- Figure 5 (pdf)
- (a) device diagram of regulated banana device
- (b) timecourse of banana smell
Restrospective project timeline. How long did each step take? [from this we can compute how we could do such work faster. We’ll want to work the pace of work into both the introduction and discussion].
- (a) GC data for IK cells versus normal E. coli;
- (b) mint scented bacteria with precursor versus TOP10 with precursor.
- (c) banana scented bacteria with precursor versus TOP10 with precursor.
"The odor threshold of a compound is the lowest concentration at which its smell can be detected."
Use of ATF1 in E. coli
- Singh R, Vadlani PV, Harrison ML, Bennett GN, and San KY. Aerobic production of isoamyl acetate by overexpression of the yeast alcohol acetyl-transferases AFT1 and AFT2 in Escherichia coli and using low-cost fermentation ingredients. Bioprocess Biosyst Eng. 2008 Jun;31(4):299-306. DOI:10.1007/s00449-007-0159-3 |
Methyl salicylate synthesis
- Negre F, Kolosova N, Knoll J, Kish CM, and Dudareva N. Novel S-adenosyl-L-methionine:salicylic acid carboxyl methyltransferase, an enzyme responsible for biosynthesis of methyl salicylate and methyl benzoate, is not involved in floral scent production in snapdragon flowers. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2002 Oct 15;406(2):261-70.
- Ross JR, Nam KH, D'Auria JC, and Pichersky E. S-Adenosyl-L-methionine:salicylic acid carboxyl methyltransferase, an enzyme involved in floral scent production and plant defense, represents a new class of plant methyltransferases. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1999 Jul 1;367(1):9-16. DOI:10.1006/abbi.1999.1255 |
- Pott MB, Hippauf F, Saschenbrecker S, Chen F, Ross J, Kiefer I, Slusarenko A, Noel JP, Pichersky E, Effmert U, and Piechulla B. Biochemical and structural characterization of benzenoid carboxyl methyltransferases involved in floral scent production in Stephanotis floribunda and Nicotiana suaveolens. Plant Physiol. 2004 Aug;135(4):1946-55. DOI:10.1104/pp.104.041806 |
- Zubieta C, Ross JR, Koscheski P, Yang Y, Pichersky E, and Noel JP. Structural basis for substrate recognition in the salicylic acid carboxyl methyltransferase family. Plant Cell. 2003 Aug;15(8):1704-16.