Difference between revisions of "IGEM:IMPERIAL/2006/project/Oscillator/project browser/Full System"
|Line 70:||Line 70:|
| Amplitude tuning
| Amplitude tuning
Latest revision as of 04:36, 31 October 2006
|Super Parts||Not Applicable|
|Actual Part||Full System Logo|
|Sub Parts||Prey Molecule Generator||Predator Molecule Generator|
- Oscillators are a fundamental building block in traditional engineering applications (i.e. computers, radio, clocks) , as well as a recurrent motif in many biological systems (i.e.circadian rhythm, menstrual cycle).
- We intend to build a generic and modular synthetic biological oscillator that can become a fundamental building block in future synthetic biological applications.
- Previous oscillators have been attempted (such as the Repressilator by Elowitz and Leibler in 2000) but they often share the following problems:
- Noisy and Unstable (due to stochastic molecular events at the single cell level, cell-cell variability, cell division)
- Damping (i.e.with cell-cell asynchrony)
- Inflexible (i.e. lack of control over amplitude and frequency)
- No easy connectivity (hard to integrate into larger systems)
- Based on these past limitations, we have defined the specifications for our oscillator.
|Stability||Oscillations should be stable for greater then 10 cycles. Stable in amplitude, frequency and output profile.|
|Variability||Output signal should have a high signal to noise ratio.|
|Flexibility||Amplitude and frequency should be controllable.|
|Amplitude Range||Large enough to have an easy detection.|
|Frequency Range||From a period of the order of the hour to several hours.|
|Connectivity||The oscillator should be easily integrated into other more complicated systems. Modular and generic output.|
- In electronic, the stability of the oscillations is a key factor, but the profile of the ouput signal is also an important property of an oscillator. There is an important variety of output profiles used in electronic (harmonic, square-wave, triangle-wave). Sometimes, for a given application a given profile is required. read more>>
- Due to biological variability, getting a stable behavior might be challenging.