- General Lab Meetings: every other Tuesday starting January 8th; 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm, as of January 2013
- Personal Meetings: members are expected to meet with Dr. Haynes once every two weeks, as of August 2012
- Birthdays: Add yours to the calendar so we can celebrate!
Lab Duties (Spring 2013)
Do these tasks yourself or recruit others to help you. Your helpers must have all lab safety training completed.
|Hazardous Waste||Amanda Ispas||autoclaving biohazard waste, labeling all waste for pick-up, requesting pick-up from EH&S|
|Media Prep||Caroline Hom||LB Amp agar plates, LB plain agar plates, LB plain liquid, Tissue culture FBS and pen/strep, 50x TAE, TAE and 70% etOH carboys|
|Shipping & Receiving||James Alling||pick up orders from ECG 334A, enter items received in the ordering spreadsheet, check consumables (micropipette tips, serological pipettes, kim wipes, tube racks)|
|Safety Officer||Rene Davis||SOP manual, first aid kit, sharps containers, lab-supplied PPE (coats, disposable gloves, autoclave gloves)|
|Glassware||Brady Laughlin||wash and autoclave glassware, glass beads, re-stock glassware on shelves|
|Shared Chemicals||Behzad Damadzadeh||chemical bay tidiness, chemical inventory updates, MSDS collection, fume hood, 37°C shaker-incubator|
Undergraduate volunteers are invited to learn and carry out media and glassware preparation. Volunteers who demonstrate reliability, good technique, and good lab citizenship will be offered opportunities for research projects, either for course credit or FURI.
- January 1 - February 28: requests to join the lab are accepted. Please send requests to karmella dot haynes at asu.
- March 1 - Spring break: complete all required safety training
- Mid-march (after spring break): Training
- April 30 - spring volunteer cycle ends
All new lab members must take the following courses:
|Class||Course #||In class or Online|
|1. Laboratory Safety||LABSAFE||In class|
|2. Fire Safety||FIRE||In class|
|3. Compressed Gas - Under Pressure||Online|
|4. Biosafety & Bloodborne Pathogens Initial Training||Online|
|5. Hazardous Waste Management||Online|
|6. Recombinant DNA Training NIH||Online|
In class training: Register at the EHS Training Website. Click "Search Course Catalog/Register for Training." Click "Training Registration" on the EH&S Assistant page and follow the instructions. When you attend class, do not forget to sign the instructor's attendance sheet, or your training will not be kept on record.
Registration errors: if you are blocked from registration, contact LMS Support at 480-727-7300 or gtb at asu dot edu.
Online training: These courses typically include some reading material (a powerpoint online) and a quiz. To access the classes online, go to MyASU. In the My Classes section, click Blackboard. Click the Courses tab. Enter each class in the search box to find it.
All lab members are required to take annual refresher courses. Reminders will be sent by EHS.
|Class||Course #||In class or Online|
|1. Laboratory Safety Annual Refresher Training||n/a||Online|
|2. Fire Safety & Prevention Annual Refresher Training||n/a||Online|
|3. Refresher Biosafety & Bloodborne Pathogens||n/a||Online|
|4. Hazardous Waste Management Refresher||n/a||Online|
Request door access online using the secure system. You must have an ASURITE ID and password.
- Log in at http://isaacrequest.asu.edu/control.php
- Click the Request link in the left menu
- Select ISTB4 (Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Building 4)
- Select the rooms shown in the table below. Access to these doors will allow you to participate in Haynes Lab research & meetings.
- Read the guidelines and check the "I have read, understood and will comply with these guidelines." box.
- Click the [Add] button.
|☑||ISTB4||1st Floor Perimeter|
|☑||ISTB4||Conference Rooms (BHSE only)|
|☑||ISTB4||1st Floor Dock and LER|
|☑||ISTB4||2nd Floor LER Lab|
|☑||ISTB4||231||2nd Floor Wet Lab|
|☑||ISTB4||431 A2||4th Floor Autoclave (BHSE only)|
|☑||ISTB4||ISTB4 Entrance Group||BHSE|