N-(2-hydroxyethyl)piperazine-N’-(2-ethanesulfonic acid); 4-(2-hydroxyethyl)-1-piperazineethanesulfonic acid; CAS NUMBER: 7365-45-9
- pKa at 25C of 7.55 (7.31 at 37C)
- a second pKa at pH 3 is not of interest
- usable buffering range of 6.8 to 8.2
- molecular weight 238.3
- ΔpKa/ΔT = -.014
- HEPES contains tertiary amines, which are reactive under certain conditions. See its structure in the Sigma catalog.
- Chemical formula: C8H18N2O4S
Buffers are typically 1 M, prepared by neutralizing HEPES with sodium hydroxide. HEPES is essentially insoluble until it is neutralized.
- Good NE, Winget GD, Winter W, Connolly TN, Izawa S, and Singh RM. Hydrogen ion buffers for biological research. Biochemistry. 1966 Feb;5(2):467-77.
- Good NE and Izawa S. Hydrogen ion buffers. Methods Enzymol. 1972;24:53-68.
- Blanchard JS. Buffers for enzymes. Methods Enzymol. 1984;104:404-14.