|pBR322 and its derivatives||pMB1||15-20|
|pACYC and its derivatives||p15A||10-12|
|pSC101 and its derivatives||pSC101||5|
|Incompatibility group||Negative control element||Comment|
|colE1[4, 5], pMB1||RNAI||controls processing of pre-RNAII into primer. pUC is derived from pBR322 (a single mutation in the pBR322 Primer RNA and deletion of the rop gene) which is derived from a pMB1 replicon, and cannot co-reside with the colE1 incompatibility group.|
|IncFII, pT181||RNA||controls synthesis of RepA protein|
|P1, F, R6K, pSC101, p15A||iterons||sequesters RepA protein|
Replication origins in different incompatibility groups are compatible. Replication origins in the same incompatibility group are not.
Note: searching for cloning vector <insert vector name> when looking for vector sequences in NCBI Entrez Nucleotide search. It helps to cut down on the number of hits.
- Bolivar F, Rodriguez RL, Greene PJ, Betlach MC, Heyneker HL, Boyer HW, Crosa JH, and Falkow S. Construction and characterization of new cloning vehicles. II. A multipurpose cloning system. Gene. 1977;2(2):95-113.
- Chang AC and Cohen SN. Construction and characterization of amplifiable multicopy DNA cloning vehicles derived from the P15A cryptic miniplasmid. J Bacteriol. 1978 Jun;134(3):1141-56.
- Cohen SN and Chang AC. Revised interpretation of the origin of the pSC101 plasmid. J Bacteriol. 1977 Nov;132(2):734-7.
- Bazaral M and Helinski DR. Circular DNA forms of colicinogenic factors E1, E2 and E3 from Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 1968 Sep 14;36(2):185-94.
original discovery of ColE1 plasmid
- Hershfield V, Boyer HW, Yanofsky C, Lovett MA, and Helinski DR. Plasmid ColEl as a molecular vehicle for cloning and amplification of DNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1974 Sep;71(9):3455-9.
use of ColEI as a vector
- Anderson ES. The ecology of transferable drug resistance in the enterobacteria. Annu Rev Microbiol. 1968;22:131-80. DOI:10.1146/annurev.mi.22.100168.001023 |
Discusses transferable drug resistance in Escherichia coli (i.e. plasmids with resistance markers)
- Cohen SN and Chang AC. Recircularization and autonomous replication of a sheared R-factor DNA segment in Escherichia coli transformants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1973 May;70(5):1293-7.
Discusses generation of plasmids by sharing DNA, their transformation and replication.
- Cohen SN, Chang AC, Boyer HW, and Helling RB. Construction of biologically functional bacterial plasmids in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1973 Nov;70(11):3240-4.
Discusses use of vector to propagate other DNA fragments
- Novagen pET vector table
- table with links to properties/sequences of pET vectors
- note: slow to load