Difference between revisions of "Endy:Preparing Antibiotic Stocks"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Revision as of 16:52, 9 July 2005
Stocks & Usage
- Stock Concentration - 5mg/ml in 70% Ethanol
- Aliquots - 200μl and 1ml
- Working Concentration - 20μg/ml
Preparation of 80ml stock solution
- Tetracycline is kept in the 4C fridge in 68-564D. It is light sensitive.
- Weigh 400mg of tetracyline HCL into a small weigh boat.
- Dilute 95% Ethanol to 70% using milliQ water.
- Adding 20ml of milliQ to 60ml of 95% ethanol gives 80ml of 71% ethanol.
- Add 80ml of 70% Ethanol to a 250ml bottle.
- Add the tetracycline HCL to the ethanol.
- Mix/vortex vigorously so all the tetracycline goes into solution.
- Filter sterilize the solution into a falcon tube using a 20ml syringe and a 200nm filter.
- Aliquot into pcr tubes and 1.7ml eppendorfs.
- Store at -20C and protect any unused stock solution from light.
- Store the small aliquots in the small box and the big aliquots in the larger box.